Onboard USB Controller pasthrough advice needed

egtrev

Hello,

I'm looking to passthrough an onboard USB controller for a VM so devices can be unplugged etc without stopping the VM, I don't care which ports get passed through. I don't want to use a PCI slot.

I've checked my IOMMU groups and I have 3 USB controllers listed all in separate groups which I believed was a good sign:

IOMMU group 4:	[8086:8c31] 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)

IOMMU group 7:	[8086:8c2d] 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)

IOMMU group 13:	[8086:8c26] 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)

I followed Spaceinvader One guide on how to check what devices are on what controller so I don't passthrough the one with the UNRAID USB stick.

I plugged in various devices to all the rear and front USB ports and plugged a spare flash drive into the port straight on the motherboard so I could find out what ports belong to what controllers/IOMMU groups.

This is where I'm having issues - every device I plugged in is showing in IOMMU group 4, I tried every port I could find and none show up in IOMMU group 7 or 13.

I don't know if I'm missing something, but surely the other 2 groups must have a port somewhere on the MB? unless I'm misunderstanding how it would work.

My motherboard is Z87 Extreme 6 if anyone has used one of these previously.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by egtrev
  • 1 month later...

I know this post is a few weeks old, but I am guessing there are connectors on your motherboard that are not hooked up to any ports - like to ports on the front of the case. My motherboard has a controller for the ports on the panel on the back of the motherboard, but two other controllers that have to be hooked up to other ports - one is USB 3, the other USB 2, in my case.