Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8-Port SATA II Controller Card - $89 shipped

johnodon

Just bought one of these unRAID supported cards on Ebay for $89 with free shipping.  They are brand new and  include 8 SATA cables.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Supermicro-AOC-SAT2-MV8-8-Port-SATA-II-Controller-Card-/250762990283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a62a392cb

8 left after I bought mine but I'm guessing they will have more.  Newegg sells these for $104.99 and $10 shipping.

DISCLAIMER:  I am not the seller...AND...these are PCI-X cards (although my RocketRaid 1820a PCI-X card works just fine in a regular PCI slot).

Enjoy!

John

This is a PCI card, not a PCIe card.  The PCI card very limiting in terms of bandwidth.  You would be very unhappy loading this card up with drives.  You'd be lucky to get 12 MB/sec parity check performance.

The SASLP is an 8 port PCIe card, which will yield good performance fully loaded.

DO NOT BUY THIS CARD UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PCI-X, PCI, and PCIe BUSES.

See this thread.

Bus Type: 64-bit 133MHz PCI-X

VERY few motherboards have PCI-X slots.  If you have one that does, this board might be a good choice for you.  Still not as good as a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 in a PCIe x4 (or better) slot (if one is available).

If you have PCIe slots, and no PCI-X slots, this is a poor choice.

I have both a SASLP and a SAT2-MV8 and tested the bandwidth on my motherboard (Supermicro X7SBE) the SAT2-MV8 outperformed the SASLP. My results here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8705.msg85190#msg85190

Also you can get the SAT2-MV8 card new, shipped free from ewiz right now for $83.29.

You are also running a $240 motherboard with multiple PCI-X channels. This is not a typical motherboard.

Caveat emptor!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the SAT2-MV8 was a good choice for a PCI slot, I used a SAT2-MV8 with my original motherboard a few years back, and it was painful even with the small drive sizes back then.

I was replying to this comment:

VERY few motherboards have PCI-X slots.  If you have one that does, this board might be a good choice for you.  Still not as good as a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 in a PCIe x4 (or better) slot (if one is available).

I purchased my motherboard for about $160 as an open box at newegg. I think at that price it is still a viable option today. At $240+ not so much. I bought the motherboard since I already had the SAT2-MV8 and so the PCI-X ports were very attractive.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the SAT2-MV8 was a good choice for a PCI slot, I used a SAT2-MV8 with my original motherboard a few years back, and it was painful even with the small drive sizes back then.

I was replying to this comment:

VERY few motherboards have PCI-X slots.  If you have one that does, this board might be a good choice for you.  Still not as good as a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 in a PCIe x4 (or better) slot (if one is available).

I purchased my motherboard for about $160 as an open box at newegg. I think at that price it is still a viable option today. At $240+ not so much. I bought the motherboard since I already had the SAT2-MV8 and so the PCI-X ports were very attractive.

Thanks for clarifying.  The OP made his first post in this thead, and I did not want him to get the impression that this was a good choice for a PCI slot.

I looked at your linked post.  The Supermicro MBD-X7SBE looks like a nice board.  I don't see any deals on them on newegg at the moment.  I have an old AOC-SAT2-MV8 that is benched that I'd love to be able to use again.  Drop me a PM if you happen to see your MB on sale at a good price!

I looked at your linked post.  The Supermicro MBD-X7SBE looks like a nice board.  I don't see any deals on them on newegg at the moment.  I have an old AOC-SAT2-MV8 that is benched that I'd love to be able to use again.  Drop me a PM if you happen to see your MB on sale at a good price!

They do pop up but they seem to go fairly quickly. Most recently I posted this deal:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10518.msg99925#msg99925

I'll send you a PM if I see another.

So what's the difference between the AOC-SIMLC-HTC ($48) and the AOC-SIMLC ($65)?

(Besides the cost ;))

Personally I like the AOC-SIM1U+ ($87.96 at WiredZone) because you get KVM over Lan for the X7SBE with the separate lan connection the manual says it needs.  The AOC-SIMLC-HTC only does SOL (Serial over Lan) I got one of those by mistake.  If anybody wants it I might be able to find it.  Not sure about the AOC-SIMLC.

Archived