Disk disable during rebuild

Hello,

So I have a 7 disk array

disk 4 became disabled so i replaced it with a different larger disk (4tb to 8tb)

during the rebuild stage disk 7 became disabled - rebuild did not stop and finished (no errors given)

I have checkd the data on the new disk and it's all corrupt

after a reboot disk 7 came back on and was able to read/write data with no issue on the disk (including unbalance and getting all 2.8tb off of it with no issues)

Problem is all the data on disk 4 (new 8TB one) is corupted and parity can not fix it as after the rebuild it is corrupt in the parity also.

I do have the old "disabled" drive of 4tb but as an idiot I reformated it.

Can anyone help me get the data (folder structure included) back

Please help

(Yes I know a back-up is needed but do not have the $$$ to double all my disks)

me-diagnostics-20210119-0853.zip

Edited by white13wolf
added system diagnostics
1 hour ago, white13wolf said:

I have checkd the data on the new disk and it's all corrupt

That's expected, unless you have dual parity.

1 hour ago, white13wolf said:

after a reboot disk 7 came back on and was able to read/write data with no issue on the disk (including unbalance and getting all 2.8tb off of it with no issues)

The best chance of recovering would be to force disable disk4 and rebuilt it again, but if you moved the data from the old disk it's too late now.

Hello, tried a rebuid after i got disk 7 back with no luck as parity was updated or something and the data was corrupted again.

I think that : My only chance now is data recovery on the old disk4 - can't find a good software (folder tree missing in many)

As a extra question, if parity/rebuild fail (one more drive disabled) should the array not stop and warn the user - error fix it or lose data? my "rebuild" just continued and messed up parity and all - also disk 7 is fine and working in the array now so ..... why disable it especially during rebuild

Edited by white13wolf
added a question
3 hours ago, white13wolf said:

can't find a good software (folder tree missing in many)

Some have successfully used UFS explorer.

if parity/rebuild fail (one more drive disabled) should the array not stop and warn the user - error fix it or lose data?

I did make a request for that, but

my "rebuild" just continued and messed up parity and all

It won't mess up parity, you'd need to stop or wait for the rebuild to end, do a new config to re-enable disk7 and disable disk4 and repeat the rebuild, you should recover 100% of the data (if done before changing any data in the array).