Unmountable Disk - Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

tatooine-diagnostics-20210118-1124.zipHi everyone,

As you can guess, I'm very new to unraid. I've used a 2 tb Seagate Barracuda HDD for quite some time now on a Windows Rig which ran as a Plex and File-Share Server. That's obviously nowhere near ideal, hence the switch.

The hard drive worked fine on Windows, and still does. When I attempt to start the Array with that disk, I get the following error

Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

I've tried formatting, but that just puts out the following error:

Unmountable disk present

When I tried to manually format it in gparted, I couldn't even create a partition table. When I tried the same in windows, it worked. Because nothing else seemed to function, I formatted the drive in Windows and then format it in gparted as an xfs drive. Didn't change anything though.

I've dd'd it afterwards, to no effect.

I then erased everything in Preclear Disk, which finished, but didn't solve the problem.

I also ran fsck, which told me I had a

bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

That couldn't solve the error either.

Last night I ran the full Preclear Disk Check fully the second time (I didn't save the log the first time unfortunately)

This is the log:

Screenshot (Text)

preclear.disk.txt

I honestly don't know what to do now. I've read countless forum/reddit posts, spend the last 3 days trying to get this one drive working. Should I just send the harddrive to warrenty?

Edit:

This is the Preclear Preview

Edit 2: syslog

tatooine-diagnostics-20210118-1124.zip

Edited by ericwaetke
Added Syslog

Basically this is the problem:

Jan 18 00:22:45 Tatooine preclear_disk_WFL33WEX[8763]: Signature: failed test 1: MBR signature is not valid, byte 0 [10741] != [00000]

Disk is returning different data than expected, this also why you get "invalid partition", Unraid checks for the MBR, can't tell you why though, try a different disk.

Jan 18 12:37:23 Tatooine preclear_disk_S3YJNS0N704931R[7562]: Signature: verifying unRAID's signature on the MBR ...
Jan 18 12:37:23 Tatooine preclear_disk_S3YJNS0N704931R[7562]: Signature: Unraid preclear signature is valid!
Jan 18 12:37:24 Tatooine preclear_disk_S3YJNS0N704931R[7562]: Post-Read: post-read verification started (1/5)....
Jan 18 12:37:24 Tatooine preclear_disk_S3YJNS0N704931R[7562]: Post-Read: verifying the beginning of the disk.
Jan 18 12:37:24 Tatooine preclear_disk_S3YJNS0N704931R[7562]: Post-Read: cmp /tmp/.preclear/sdb/fifo /dev/zero
Jan 18 12:37:24 Tatooine preclear_disk_S3YJNS0N704931R[7562]: Post-Read: dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/.preclear/sdb/fifo count=2096640 skip=512 iflag=nocache,count_bytes,skip_bytes
Jan 18 12:37:25 Tatooine preclear_disk_S3YJNS0N704931R[7562]: Post-Read: fail - beginning of the disk not zeroed

This time the MBR was valid but the disk wasn't correctly zeroed, or is now returning non zeros, since it still happens with a different device it points to a hardware problem, like bad RAM, controller, etc.