jumped the gigabyte ship - SOLVED

mickeykool

Well due to the HPA issues on my board and lack of pci-e 4x slot which I want to use for the SASLP-MV8 controller card I went with the ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G.

Once parts arrive I will be swapping out boards and etc, do I need to do anything to my current set up other than backing up all my data onto another computer.  I assume just plug in my thumb drive into the new board and everything will work fine along w/ the drives plugged in?

Well due to the HPA issues on my board and lack of pci-e 4x slot which I want to use for the SASLP-MV8 controller card I went with the ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G.

Once parts arrive I will be swapping out boards and etc, do I need to do anything to my current set up other than backing up all my data onto another computer.  I assume just plug in my thumb drive into the new board and everything will work fine along w/ the drives plugged in?

Basically,

Take a screen shot of your existing disk assignments on the "devices" page.  Use it to get the disks assigned properly on your new hardware.

Assign the flash drive as the boot device in your new BIOS.

That should be it.

Joe L.

With the drives that have hpa on it will this go away once I change boards or I have to manually remove them from drive?

They will not go away. 

Remember to only remove one at a time, get your array to accept it with its new size, then do the next.

So... get rid of the HPA on the parity drive first, make sure the array is then able to do a full parity check without errors, then work in the next drive removing the HPA, make sure the array is back online with all disks, then do the next... 

When a HPA is removed unRAID will treat the drive as if it is a new disk, because it has a new size.  It will want to re-construct onto the (apparent) replacement.  If your parity and ALL the other data disks are not working properly you'll run into all kinds of headaches.

You have to manually remove the HPA. The method that worked for me is to use a boot CD of SeaTools for DOS. It will remove the HPA on any brand of hard disk. Note that the process is destructive because unRAID will see the size change and assume it is a new disk.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271

"Set Capacity to Max Native" - Used to resize drive to full capacity

Archived