Network lasts 5 minutes tops OR until I run a major task (start the array)

Hello I'm an unRaid newb,

Problem is as stated in the title. Basically right after boot, network runs great, getting an IP address, then after 5 minutes or I attempt to bring up the array for the very first time, network dies. If I'm lucky, that page will refresh, but that's it. I haven't even gotten far enough to be able to copy to the array. It usually dies around .3% of the Parity Check.

I've tried using the IP and the http://tower method. no go. Can't even ping. Sometimes I'll get "destination host unreachable" but most times i get "timed out"

I've also tried accessing the box from a MAC connected to wireless with no luck. I've pretty much already read all of the wiki's and all of the forums referenced by the wiki and other forum posts.

Here's my setup:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2

Mobo: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

RAM: Mushkin 2x2GB pair

Flash: Kingston Data Traveler 2

Drives: Two 250GB Seagate Barracuda drives

unRaid 4.7

Made sure it was getting an IP and it is, via DHCP.

I've already modified ident.cfg with the workgroup "WORKGROUP"

I have 10 other network devices on the router, it's not the router, not the cable.

Tried with 5beta4 for kicks since I have nothing to lose. Same issue.

I also tried with a crossover cable directly to my windows PC with no router between. Same issue.

If I had to guess it is the NIC chipset that is used on the motherboard.

Disable all onboard NICs and install an Intel based PCI NIC card.  See if that fixes the issues.

The board does appear to be on the Hardware Compatibility Page but has never really been vetted to any extent. 

I would first run a Memtest on the system to make sure that everything there checks out.

After that you can try hooking up a monitor and keyboard and watching what goes across the screen when your problems occur.  Use these commands to monitor the syslog:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

Tried with 5beta4 for kicks since I have nothing to lose. Same issue.

I also tried with a crossover cable directly to my windows PC with no router between. Same issue.

If I had to guess it is the NIC chipset that is used on the motherboard.

Disable all onboard NICS and install an Intel based PCI NIC card.  See if that fixes the issues.

Or, possible but less likely, the same IP address or MAC address on the same lan.

Joe L.

Not the IP. Like I said I plugged it straight into the back of my windows box with a crossover and a couple static IPs. Same thing.

I tried a Linksys card I had laying around. That wasn't even detected at all. I'll try to get my hands on one of the intel cards.

I did do that.

I can get my hands on a Realtek that I know works with my coworker's unraid install. I'll give that a shot this week. Bummer though, My dual onboard Marvell NICs worked great for other Linux distros. (I did try disabling one of them and then switching them around too.)

I won't be able to get an Intel quickly so I'll give this a shot.

Got my hands on an old Intel Pulse 10/100mb card. Results are MUCH BETTER.

I still get the same symptoms except now the network lasts 10 minutes or until I run a major task like a parity check. It drops about 5 packets then recovers for another 10 minutes. At least now it can maintain connectivity.

So my pings end up looking like:

200 good pings

Timed Out

Timed Out

Timed Out

Timed Out

Timed Out

1 good ping with 3000ms latency

200 good pings

Timed Out

Timed Out

Timed Out

Timed Out

Timed Out

1 good ping with 3000ms latency

....and so on.

Memtest came out good. No error after 1 full pass.

I got my hands on a gb Realtek. My friend is using one of these on an unraid install (not sure which model it is) but it's from the compatibility list. It's working worse than my 10/100 Intel.

It's gotta be the motherboard at this point. Bummer. I've seen others on the forums have success with the same model

Ok, WOW. one step closer

Here's what I did because I was at the last measure before dropping unRAID completely. unRAID seemed to me at first about as picky as VMWare ESXi. But something in CMOS was just quirky I guess.

1) Unplug everything and rearrange cables a little more nicely

2) Restore CMOS to factory defaults

3) Disable all unnecessary peripheral devices....again

4) Make sure the flash is bootable

5) Turn off Quick boot

6) Boot up unRaid and now network is great....read on..

However, When I try to copy stuff over to the array now I get:

Destination Folder Access Denied:

You need permission to perform this action

disk1

I'm using Windows 7 to write to it and I'll try restarting right after I post this.

I've attached a new syslog with network working this time. Restart didn't fix anything.

syslog.txt

Destination Folder Access Denied:

You need permission to perform this action
disk1

I'm using Windows 7 to write to it and I'll try restarting right after I post this.

I've attached a new syslog with network working this time. Restart didn't fix anything.

Have not looked through the syslog yet but if you are on 4.7 then log into the server as root and try, if not using 4.7 then make sure to run the New Permissions script in the utils tab on 5.0b4.

Hm maybe that's my problem. Windows 7 doesn't ask me to login when i just go to network places > Tower. How would i log in as root?

I'm on 4.7 now but I did try that Permissions setting in 5 when I was trying it.

I'd like to get 5 to work cuz I have several Apple devices on my network.

Here's some more details. (Now I'm in v5)

V5 symptoms are the same but actually display an error on the screen when it happens.

I get the attached error in Windows First....

Then I see this come up in the console

REISERFS error (device md1): reiserfs-2025 reiserfs_cache_bitmap_metadata: bitmap block 50659328 is corrupted: first bit must be 1.

No array errors are showing up in the management web page.

Here it is straight from syslog

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower logger: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 61) and group 'avahi' (GID 214).

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Successfully dropped root privileges.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: avahi-daemon 0.6.25 starting up.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Successfully called chroot().

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Loading service file /services/afpd.service.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Loading service file /services/samba.service.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 172.16.1.57.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Network interface enumeration completed.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Registering new address record for 172.16.1.57 on eth0.IPv4.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower emhttp: shcmd (318): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start |logger

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower logger: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[2906]: Successfully connected to Avahi daemon.

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower emhttp: shcmd (319): /usr/local/sbin/emhttp_event svcs_started

Feb 12 01:54:21 Tower emhttp_event: svcs_started

Feb 12 01:54:22 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Server startup complete. Host name is Tower.local. Local service cookie is 3326297498.

Feb 12 01:54:23 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Service "Tower-SMB" (/services/samba.service) successfully established.

Feb 12 01:54:23 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Service "Tower" (/services/afpd.service) successfully established.

Feb 12 01:56:16 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Invalid query packet.

Feb 12 01:56:25 Tower last message repeated 5 times

Feb 12 01:56:30 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md1): reiserfs-2025 reiserfs_cache_bitmap_metadata: bitmap block 50659328 is corrupted: first bit must be 1

Feb 12 01:56:30 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device md1): Remounting filesystem read-only

Feb 12 02:02:19 Tower avahi-daemon[2895]: Invalid query packet.

Capture.PNG.7621387babc22fef5d744f1a025389a6.PNG

On both drives (No Parity ATM) I got the following. I think this is fallout from when I first had network issues which were probably caused by funky BIOS settings:

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes

###########

reiserfsck --check started at Sat Feb 12 02:34:57 2011

###########

Replaying journal: Done.

Reiserfs journal '/dev/md2' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Zero bit found in on-disk bitmap after the last valid bit.

Checking internal tree.. finished

Comparing bitmaps..vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.

Checking Semantic tree:

finished

2 found corruptions can be fixed when running with --fix-fixable

###########

reiserfsck finished at Sat Feb 12 02:35:21 2011

###########

ran --fix-fixable and testing now