We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

unRAID recovery

Hi all. 

I am new to unRAID and have been very impressed with so far... HOWERVER, I did something today and not sure if I need to check anything!  I basically did a recovery in a quite unorthodox way... I think!

This morning, I added a PCIe 4.0 1TB Sabrent NVMe (to be used a second Cache Drive) and a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB drive (to be used as a unassigned drive) to the server. HOWEVER, as a result of losing a screw in the server and trying to locate it, I damaged my uuRAID USB 2.0 flash drive! I quickly established I needed to change it for a new one as the plastic housing got 'squashed', although the circuit board remained intact.

Miraculously I found I was still able to access the data on the damaged drive. I immediately transferred ALL the contents to my Windows PC and then formatted a new 32GB USB 2.0 drive to FAT32 (Model - Sandisk Cruzer Blade) and literally copied the data from the old USB drive to the new one. 

I put the new USB 2.0 drive in the unRAID server and successfully booted to my setup! I even managed to replace the key correctly! Coincidentally, I had made a backup of my old flash drive the night before, but the file was on the Array! It hadn't backed up to backup drive yet and the only backup I did have was 4 weeks old and I have installed a few dockers and a couple of VM's since then.

Everything appears fine... I haven't started a Parity Check - it wanted to, but I stopped it after reading some forums on unRAID recovery options.

I haven't moved or added any disks to the array (3 x 4TB WD Red Pro Drive) or parity (I use one 4TB WD Red Pro for this). 

Just need to be reassured it isn't going to suddenly spring some errors on me later! 

18 minutes ago, JasonH76 said:

Just need to be reassured it isn't going to suddenly spring some errors on me later! 

Replacing the flash drive as you have described has no impact on the array and data itself.  You should not need to do a parity check, unless somewhere along the line you had an unclean shutdown, as no data on the array was affected.

• Thanks 1