We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Access Denied When Trying to SSH into Unraid 6.9.0-rc2 Server

ETW70

Hi,

I'm getting "Access Denied" when trying to SSH into my Unraid server as root using Putty.  

Things I've looked at/considered:

1. The server is relatively new.  It hasn't had any SSH plugins installed.

2. Not sure how long this has been broken, but it has worked sometime pre 6.9.
3. The certs in /config/ssh on the flash drive look okay size wise.
4. There is no sshd_conf file.  Shouldn't their be one?
5. The password is known.  Use it to access the GUI.
6. Here is what the syslog server has:

Feb 11 00:23:10 UNRAID sshd[8756]: Connection from xxx.xxx.xxx.102 port 53741 on xxx.xxx.xxx.117 port 22 rdomain ""
Feb 11 00:23:15 UNRAID sshd[8756]: Postponed keyboard-interactive for root from xxx.xxx.xxx.102 port 53741 ssh2 [preauth]
Feb 11 00:23:32 UNRAID sshd[8874]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=xxx.xxx.xxx.102  user=root
Feb 11 00:23:34 UNRAID sshd[8756]: error: PAM: Authentication failure for root from xxx.xxx.xxx.102
Feb 11 00:23:34 UNRAID sshd[8756]: Failed keyboard-interactive/pam for root from xxx.xxx.xxx.102 port 53741 ssh2

I  don't find anything on PAM configuration in Unraid.

Any ideas?          Thanks!

unraid-diagnostics-20210211-0128.zip

Give us a screen shot of the   Settings  >>>  Management Access    page of the Unraid GUI.

What program are you using as the Terminal program on your PC?  (I am using PuTTY on a Win10 PC.) 

I just logged into both of my servers (one on 6.8.3 and the 6.9.0-rc2) and was successful.  I played around when making the login to the second server and entered any incorrect password.  I got syslog entries virtually identical to yours. 

I just rebooted the Unraid server and the issue has resolved itself.  I was using Putty from a Windows 10 Pro notebook.  After my first post, I decided to enable and try telnet (again from Putty) and it allowed me to login, but SSH still did not until the restart.  I'll post back should this occur again, but hopefully it was a one time thing.  Thanks, Frank1940, for the assistance.

image.png