We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Format Unmountable Encrypted Drive

BF90X

Hello,

I recently encounter the following issue.

Unraid crashed and then when I brought it back online, one of my data drives came out as an unmountable encrypted drive.

Also notice that one of my cache drives didn't mount properly since it was complaining about a wrong passphrase, even though all other ones mounted properly.

I rebooted the system and tried to bring the array back online, the cache drive that was previously complaining mounted properly.

As far as my data drive, it still didn't want to mount and it was still giving me an unmountable disk drive message.

It was giving me the option to format the drive and I thought it would format the disk and rebuild from parity but instead, it actually formatted the drive and lost all 14 TB of data.

I know, I should have paid more attention and should have reached out beforehand but is there anyway possible to recover or even know what data was on that drive?

Attached is the last diagnostics after I had already clicked format.

The disk that failed to mount was Disk 17, 

ST14000NM0018-2H4101_ZHZ4JPR8 - 14 TB (sdd)

prdnas002-diagnostics-20210211-1419.zip

Edited by BF90X
7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

With unencrypted drives you could use a file recovery util like UFS explorer, with encrypted drives and AFAIK there's not much you can do.

Thanks for the response JorgeB. 

That's what I thought but I just didn't know if It would be possible to add the drive back to the array and build it from an earlier stage.