Best cache and container data setup for incoming 6.9?

mrdavvv

I'm still in the process of getting everything ready for my new Unraid server.

With the new drive pools function, i was thinking about what could be the best setup for a cache and virtualization data drive, that would have:

• Docker and VM data
  • Maybe plex metadata
  • Cache for filesystem.

Option 1

Single 500GB SSD

- No redundancy, but can backup docker / VM data with a plugin.

- Cheap n easy.

• What lifetime can i expect of an SSD with this task, ive read studies about how they can hold moving TB's of data for years, and all depends of your use case.... not sure if the probability of failure its too high in this case.

Option 2

2x500GB SSD Raid 1

- Redundancy thanks to raid1.

- Should be fast enough for all task's with a good nvme (3500mb/s)?

• The only problem its that my Mobo (Asus B350)  only has 1 slot for NVME, and no free PCI slots (The single x16 ones its used by a HBA card). So i would need to stick with a regular sata SSD for the second drive.
  • If i have a 3500mb/s nvme in slot1, and a 500mb/s sata in slot 2, my write speeds would be limited all the time for the max speed of the sata drive?, or only while specifically writing / reading at that drive?, would be this problematic for raid 1?

Option 3 (I think the best).

- 1 x 500GB Nvme for cache duties

- 1 x 500GB SSD for docker's, VM's and plex metadata. Backup with plugin, or maybe do a raid1 with a couple of SSD's.

Or any other option that you recommend?. As i mention im limited to only 1x Nvme, and no PCi slots. Maybe i should update my MOBO to have the option of Raid1 with 2 x Nvme's?. (Not sure if there is any micro ATX Am4 boards that can do this).

Thanks a lot for your time!

System:
- 4 x 8tb Spinning. + 1 unasigned 2TB (For cctv recordings) + 1 unasigned 2TB (For downloads)
- AM4 B350m with a 2400G Ryzen. (One 1 x m2 slot, one x16PCIe, 2 x PCI x1.
- Node 804 case

Usage:
- Plex for max 2 concurrent users. (With the usual plex stack, downloaders, sonnarr, lidarr, etc).
- NAS for 2 / 3 users, light load. 
- CCTV with xeoma
- Some experimental dockers, nothing heavy.
- Win10 VM for office ussage.

Option #1 would work and as you say is cheap :(  Option #2 would mean that you do not get the best out of the HVME drive as in raid1 you get the performance of the slowest drive.  I personally would go with option #3 rather than #2, except that I would use the NVME drive for VMs and dockers as they will gain more from the better performance.  One advantage with option #3 is that as they are single drive pools you can use XFS as the file format which tends to be more resilient against any system crashes (although with any luck you will not get these) that BTRFS format pools.

Hello @itimpi.

Thanks for the feedback, i also like option #3..... and as you mention, it would be better to use nvme for the virtualization, however, that would mean that i cannot do a raid 1, or do one that isn't that effective....

Probably my best option would be to get a better mobo with a second PCI or double m.2 ports...

For the time, im probably sticking with single SSD (Cache) + single NVME drive (Virtualization). And just update in the future.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Got almost same question, except I have 2 M2 slots 1 PCIe3 & 1 PCIe4

My use of unraid would be Plex, Pi-Hole, some docker containers, and maybe some VM's to test things.

I would buy 2 M2 ssd's, what would be the best setup?

Option 1

2 gen3 nvme1 in raid1

Option 2

1 gen4 ssd

1 gen3 ssd

If so, wich should be used for what cache purpose?