A guide that explains the different file systems on unraid?

bclinton

Greetings folks! I am looking to get educated on the different file systems that unraid supports? The reason for this is I formatted my first USB backup drive in exfat so I could read it easily with windows and through an OTG adapter on my android phone. It took forever and I had to change my rsync script because I was getting a ton of errors because come to find out exfat does not support certain attributes in the file. With my second USB drive I formatted it using BTRFS and it is flying compared to exfat. Now I'm wondering if NTFS is what I should be using. Anyways it would be great to understand what each of the file system formats bring to the table and what they give up in terms of usability between OS's.

As far as I know, the only file systems supported by Unraid are BTRFS and XFS; ReiserFS is still supported but only for compatibility reasons.

There is some information in the official documentation, particularly here.

Any other FS you mentioned are managed by the Unassigned Devices and Unassigned Devices Plus plugins.

I agree with BRIT that for more information, your best shot would be to go to google.

1 hour ago, ChatNoir said:

As far as I know, the only file systems supported by Unraid are BTRFS and XFS; ReiserFS is still supported but only for compatibility reasons.

There is some information in the official documentation, particularly here.

Any other FS you mentioned are managed by the Unassigned Devices and Unassigned Devices Plus plugins.

I agree with BRIT that for more information, your best shot would be to go to google.

Thanks. That explains it well. Looks like NTFS for me on anything that needs Windows support. 

Edited by bclinton