Unraid Cache and writes

Unraid 6.8.3. 1TB Cache drive in brtfs.  Shares  I have appdata, domains and system to to PREFER, I have Transcode for Plex set to ONLY.  I've been off and on looking at the writes to the cache and keep wanting to dive into this rabbit hole. My drive is I think 2 years old maybe 10k in hours on, with Data Written showing 468TB. Am I just being overly cautious with worrying about this?  I cleared my disk stats last night and with Plex and all other dockers off, I was getting bumps of several hundred writes and over night it passed over a million writes to the cache.  I have One VM - windows 10 that is for gaming mostly, and then other dockers..  talking with another user they mentioned they use an unassigned drive for their appdata and it works well with less writes.. is that maybe the way to go? I can't help but feel like I have something misconfigured in my setup.. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 10:48 AM, JorgeB said:

It's a known issue, upgrading to v6.9 and re-formatting the SSD will decrease writes by a large factor, as much as 10x.

Hi @JorgeB

Can you help me clarify this statement.  I was on 6.8.3 (brtfs - single ssd cache drive) and have upgraded to 6.9 now that the release is in production.  The bit I don't understand is the need to reformat.  How will reformatting the cache/ssd help here in context of 6.9 and regarding excessive writes?

Edited by repomanz