Best method to transfer your data from an old server drive.

mrdavvv

So the time finaly has arrive, im moving my server from Proxmox to Unraid this weekend!.

Ive read some other post about the same subject an read the whole documentation..., but just wanted to double check if my suppositions are correct:

Situation:

- Old server has a 8TB drive with around 5Tb of data (Mostly videos and music).

- Bought 3 x 8Tb drives for unraid... so with the old one, i will be having 4x8TB +  a couple of SSD's for caching.

The plan:

• Remove my old 8TB, just in case.
  • Boot Unraid, and start the array without the parity drive, so i would only have 2 x8TB.
  • Turn off the machine, and plug the old data drive.
  • Boot again, install the "Unnasigned devices" plugin, and mount the old drive.
  • Use MC or Kruzader to move files from /mnt/olddisk to /mnt/specific-user-share
  • Check if the transfer was succesfull, then format the old drive and make it part of the array.
  • Assing parity drive, and its ready!.

The questions:

• Its my method correct?, any recomendation?
  • I should transfer directly to the user share right?... so Unraid can decide how to distribute the files according to the allocation method settings?. I think its a bad idea to transfer from disk to disk (/mnt/olddisk --> /mnt/disk1)
  • I want to update to 6.9... should before doing anything to the server?, or maybe after file transfers?, it doesn't matter?
  • Should i enable the cache drive for this operation?... i think at the end is the same as i will be limited to the final disk speed.

Thanks!

Yes your plan will work fine.

Transfer from user share to user share or disk share to disk share, but not user to disk or vice versa.  So yeah just go from the unassigned device to a user share of your choice.

If you want to use 6.9, just start with 6.9. Doesn't really matter though.

Cache drive is irrelevant to some degree because if cache is enabled for the share you are transferring data to it will quickly fill the cache drive and then write directly to the array anyways, and then will have to move off the cache drive later..  so you might as well just skip the cache drive.

Good luck, have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 2:38 PM, Energen said:

Yes your plan will work fine.

Transfer from user share to user share or disk share to disk share, but not user to disk or vice versa.  So yeah just go from the unassigned device to a user share of your choice.

If you want to use 6.9, just start with 6.9. Doesn't really matter though.

Cache drive is irrelevant to some degree because if cache is enabled for the share you are transferring data to it will quickly fill the cache drive and then write directly to the array anyways, and then will have to move off the cache drive later..  so you might as well just skip the cache drive.

Good luck, have fun!

Thanks a lot Energen!.

This weekend i did the jump and now im running Unraid, with your repply i was more confident with my data transfers, and it was easier than i expected.

Good day!