Build Upgrade (CPU, MB, RAM)

CryPt00n

Hi

i´m planning to upgrade my existing Unraid Server. Using it mainly for Plex, some VMs, Home automation, Backup ...
CPU and ram are used most time between 70 and 90%, so upgrade is really needed here.

Current Build:

i7-2600k with Bequiet Pure Rock cooler (Noctua Fans)
Asus P8Z77M
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
450 Watt Bequiet PSU
PCIe Gigabit NIC

2 250GB SSD for Cache in Raid 1
1 TB SSD as second cache pool (for Nextcloud, image hosting, VMs, all the stuff which needs a fast drive...)
3 8TB WD RED Pro HDDs

I´m planning to use all my drives, the Case and the Noctua Fans in the new build.
I don't want to buy/use a dedicated GPU to save some energy costs and don't see any benefits for me, except multiple plex streams whicht is most of the time dont to (max. 2, 1 in lan, 1 outsite transcoded).

In future i´m planning to use this also as "work assistant" and let all my VMs run in unraid, access them via guacamole instead of carrying them around to customers on my mac. Most of them are just test VMs, so not that extreme much hardware needs.

Planned Build:
i9-10900
AsRock Z490 PC Velocita
Corsair 32GB DDR4-2666 (2x16GB)

I was thinking about getting a Xeon, but its too expensive for me with that many cores. Also don't want a "K" model of a CPU, its consuming too much energy and also its not worth for 2-3%? more power. Dont having ECC is okay for me. It would be nice to have but its too expensive to get i think. Also not that extreme critical Data is stored on my rig. Also was thinking about using my actual Ryzen 7 3700x and buy a new CPU for my PC, but due the missing iGPU its no option.
The Board was just chosen because of 2 NIC and 8 SATA ports - nothing special. 2.5Gb NIC, nice to have too.
And RAM, 32 gig, don't want to use XMP to have a stable system so 2666 is okay. 2 DIMMs to have the possibility to upgrade.

Any ideas/suggestions to these thoughts?

Regards

Gday Cryptoon,

Looks fine to me.

Have you considered maybe the upcomming 5750G or existing 4750G?

They have iGPU and both boast 8/16.

Personally i use a SAS controller for my disks, think it cost like 20 bucks to have 8 Sata ports.

This will eat up an x4 (or x16) slot incase you wish to upgrade in the near future tho.

The dual NIC is indeed nice, wish i had it. Would save me a x1 slot for a pci-e card :D