Original main Cache Drive not recognized by Unraid (VM Docker data lost)

xylon

After I cleaned my server I and started my unraid server my main Cache drive of my cache pool wasn't recognized by Unraid and it wasn't possible for me to add it back in without formatting in safemode. Furthermore some data is missing yet other data is on both the not recognized drive and the rest of the pool. I would like to have an option an idea what I should do next. I would prefer not to wipe the drive because it should have my missing files vdisks and dockercontainers on them.

Unraid community you are my only hope :)

Thank you in advance

(Edit)

I would like to ask if it would be possible to change the btrfs snapshot to one before the cleaning would that work?

WIN_20210219_21_03_05_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210219_21_03_20_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210219_21_06_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210219_23_41_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210219_23_44_59_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210220_00_37_40_Pro.jpg

Edited by xylon
  • xylon changed the title to Original main Cache Drive not recognized by Unraid (VM Docker data lost)
11 hours ago, xylon said:

without formatting in safemode.

Formatting would never be the thing to do but did you format that device outside the pool or the pool itself? If you still dind't reboot after that please post the diagnostics.

11 hours ago, xylon said:

I would like to ask if it would be possible to change the btrfs snapshot to one before the cleaning would that work?

Where were you storing the snapshots?

I formatted none of them I rebooted into normal mode yet the problem still persists, I hope these diagnostics still are useful. 

52 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Formatting would never be the thing to do but did you format that device outside the pool or the pool itself? If you still dind't reboot after that please post the diagnostics.

Where were you storing the snapshots?

I thought unraid is so configured such that it would create those snapshot?

wahkiacusspart-diagnostics-20210220-0935.zip

48 minutes ago, xylon said:

I formatted none of them

So what does this mean?

13 hours ago, xylon said:

it wasn't possible for me to add it back in without formatting in safemode.

49 minutes ago, xylon said:

I thought unraid is so configured such that it would create those snapshot?

Snapshots are not automatic, and for now there's no way to do it using the GUI, only manually.

Sorry for the confusion there was no option for me to add the drive back in without need to format it. I neither formatted the drive nor the pool. I left the system is basically untouched no rebuild was tried.

15 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Snapshots are not automatic, and for now there's no way to do it using the GUI, only manually.

well then I have no snapshots.

should i try something like that?

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Repairing_a_File_System

Edited by xylon

From the log the NVMe device was removed form the pool (and the pool rebalanced):

Feb 19 20:30:15 wahkiacusspart kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme0n1p1): device deleted: /dev/nvme0n1p1

That device now has no pool data, you want to add that device back?

Also and strangely system profile is not running in raid1, only single, you should re-balance to raid1

btrfs balance start -sconvert=raid1 /mnt/cache

But was it removed and I am still missing my Vdisks and Docker Containers. It still has some sort of data on it when I mounted it using unassigned devices it showed up as  480GB drive with 835 GB used and 2.16 TB free space. How can I put it back in the pool without loosing the data or what is the best course of action? I actually configured the pool to be raid0 for performance. Should I really run the command before trying to add the BPX unassigned drive back in to the pool? 

WIN_20210220_12_50_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210220_12_53_15_Pro.jpg

17 minutes ago, xylon said:

It still has some sort of data on it when I mounted it using unassigned devices it showed up as  480GB drive with 835 GB used and 2.16 TB free space

I don't see how that can be, but if you can access that data you can try to copy it elsewhere, there's no way I know of to re-add that device to the pool without deleting any data there.

19 minutes ago, xylon said:

I actually configured the pool to be raid0 for performance

Yes, but the metadata is raid1, and system should be the same, you can correct that at any time.

4 minutes ago, xylon said:

So you tell me "basically" my data is lost and I can do basically what I want almost nothing worse could happen with me poking at stuff. I could only win by doing that

Basically yes, I guess because it was raid0 and if the device wasn't always available during the balance there might have some leftover data, but it would be partial and incomplete data.