Overclocking the CPU for Unraid ok?

I am fortunate enough to get a Ryzen 3900 CPU which is rated at just 65w however it can be overclocked to perform like a 3900x. 

I am just wondering if anyone here has done overclocking of their CPU for Unraid? Is it stable? Its not like windows where you get a BSOD so now totally sure what happens in Unraid for anything that gets messed up. 

I obvs want to ensure all data and VMs do not get impacted in the slightest, so perhaps a slight overclock might be ok?

Just looking for thoughts here. The need for this is so my VMs perform better than they do. I have Blue Iris running on one VM and it is run from the cache drive. It sometimes gets a bit slow and needs to catch up with blue iris IP camera software. I just need a very smooth and reliable experience with blue iris as it is my main security system.

Any ideas on what I could do if overclocking is a stupid thing to do with unraid?

2 hours ago, alitech said:

Any ideas on what I could do if overclocking is a stupid thing to do with unraid?

There are no such thing that which OS is suitable for overclocking and which not. For Windows BSOD, then Linux is call-trace.

"Over/Under" clocking is not a stupid thing if you have necessary knowledge.

But in your case, I would advice 3900 not suitable to O.C. and hard to read 3900x level, mainly because 3900 is a "Locked" CPU.

This quite interesting on 5900 and 5900x, 5900 is a "Unlocked" CPU, but this not happen on 3900.

image.thumb.png.20f24a07450001d564fb7cf87ab61ca8.png

image.thumb.png.2b5ac0d7a0a963952809ee81f1845dcb.png

Edited by Vr2Io
On 3/3/2021 at 5:48 AM, Vr2Io said:

There are no such thing that which OS is suitable for overclocking and which not. For Windows BSOD, then Linux is call-trace.

"Over/Under" clocking is not a stupid thing if you have necessary knowledge.

But in your case, I would advice 3900 not suitable to O.C. and hard to read 3900x level, mainly because 3900 is a "Locked" CPU.

This quite interesting on 5900 and 5900x, 5900 is a "Unlocked" CPU, but this not happen on 3900.

image.thumb.png.20f24a07450001d564fb7cf87ab61ca8.png

image.thumb.png.2b5ac0d7a0a963952809ee81f1845dcb.png

Thats contrary to what I have researched. I have seen the 3900 overclocked to 3900x speeds on some youtube videos. 

Anyhoo, i will not overclock as advised. I will keep it safe.

If I need to upgrade, I have a 3950x I can install on the motherboard.