[SOLVED] Lots of ATA errors in logs

6 hours ago, syst1k said:

max_performance

That's fine.

5 hours ago, syst1k said:

Does any of the above sound suspicious that could lead to this? To eliminate the kingwin enclosure as the source of the problem, I connected the drives directly to the JMB card and then powered the drives using my sata power splitter directly. I still got the same issue, hence I ruled out the external enclosure to be the source of the problem. However, power is something I haven't switched. I did use the same way to power another 3.5inch disk and connect to my computer via USB (to copy some data - I have a sata to USB cable), and it worked fine. So I didn't think the power supply can be a problem. However, I didn't power 2 drives together. 

No abnormal observe for the power issue.

6 hours ago, syst1k said:

The logs are after I started the Array Building operation and parity was being computed. I still see the progress in the unraid UI, but see these errors in the logs/dmesg.

I miss that, WD were in production not disable and never throwing error, so problem may happen on specific disk/model only.

Do you have a 3rd disk ( best not Segate Ironwolf ) verify this ? So we may narrow down the problem a bit.

5 hours ago, syst1k said:

Is this error something I can ignore if the read/write goes through? I'm a little confused. 

I don't agree ignore those error, but sometimes ......

Some issue about specific Ironwolf disk with LSI controller ( but not likely your case, so take as ref. )

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Like 1

btw, I would like to truly appreciate you helping me so much @Vr2Io ! 

2 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

I miss that, WD were in production not disable and never throwing error, so problem may happen on specific disk/model only.

Do you have a 3rd disk ( best not Segate Ironwolf ) verify this ? So we may narrow down the problem a bit.

I don't have a new disk yet (i already ordered one - should arrive in a few days), I am getting another WD 8TB to add as a data drive. I have a feeling, its not related to the drives itself. I have tried 3 drives till now, in different ports and different configuration. But I keep getting these ATA errors. They dont always happen in the same port. Initially i had 2 WD drives (8TB) but I got similar errors. I am waiting to get the new drive and test again with the 8TB (parity + data). 

Today I also tried installing the original iocrest board onto another NUC7i3 I have lying around, with the same errors. So I dont think its a bad motherboard as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I am still waiting for a new disk to test. However, meanwhile i replaced my power supply to the HDDs. I was using an AC -> molex as I described previously. I swapped it with a SFX psu instead. I read a few more spec sheets and error codes, and I suspect its due to insufficient power to the hard disks. I have cautiously optimistic to report that I haven't seen any "link down" errors since I swapped it out. However, I want to test this out once I have the new disk with me. Will report back with results. 

Overlook and misunderstand you have try different power source, now I agree it is power problem. What is 5v and 12v individual ampere (A) rating of that power adapter ? Does less than 5v (2A) and 12v (4A).

On 3/21/2021 at 5:57 AM, syst1k said:

To power these drives, I'm using an AC -> molex adaptor (12V/5V) and then I use a sata power splitter because the kingwin enclosure needs two sata 15pin power. 

Does any of the above sound suspicious that could lead to this? To eliminate the kingwin enclosure as the source of the problem, I connected the drives directly to the JMB card and then powered the drives using my sata power splitter directly.

Edited by Vr2Io
8 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Overlook and misunderstand you have try different power source, now I agree it is power problem. What is 5v and 12v individual ampere (A) rating of that power adapter ? Does less than 5v (2A) and 12v (4A).

It said 12v/5v 2A. I dont think i saw 4A anywhere. 

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Lots of ATA errors in logs