New case and controller to evolve my server

s0b

Hello!

Im working on an evolution of my current Unraid server which currently is setted up in a regular tower PC heavily modified to host 12 HDDs. For now Im going to focus on case + SATA controller.

For the case I have choose this one and as you can read in the case description:

This has 3 x 8643 Mini SAS connectors. 2 Input and 1 output.

Requires only 4/8 port HBA or raid card to run all 24 drives with built in expander.

12GB Backplane With Expander Built In

So I been looking into options for the SATA controller and I'm kind of lost choosing which one is a better option:

Broadcom SAS 9300-8i - 400$
Broadcom 9400-8i8e - 600$ (what means the 8e?)

Broadcom HBA 9500-8i - 430$

Seems like the 9300 is the go-to option in some other users build in the forum but Im tempted about getting the 9500 as I understand that its newer technology and seems like its supported since 6.9.0.

My problem is that I don't know enough about SATA controller cards, I only owned a 9211 which is plugged in my current Unraid server. Would like to get your opinion about what could be a good match for the new server thinking on the long term even if that means a bigger investment.

Thanks!