We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

GUI Boot Mode fails & server prefers headless unit boot

Hi All,

I have my UnRaid OS congigured to boot straight into GUI mode as shown in screen capture below. The problem is my UnRaid OS GUI is not appearing on my monitor that is directly connected to my Nvidia GT1030 card. Nevertheless, everything remains black on the monitor because of a lack of signal.

image.thumb.png.fb9f9f793b89eb1d5610c9b617e21f45.png

The only way I can get control of my UnRaid OS is remotely on my Windows10 client's FireFox Browser. In short, my UnRaid OS is behaving as though it were a headless unit eventhough I have it setup to function as a stand alone PC.

My Nvidia GT1030 card is passthroughed and the monitor connected to it successfully displays my Ubuntu VM.  So if I can see my Ubuntu VM on this monitor shouldn't I then be able to see my UnRaid OS pre-boot process take place on this monitor and then finish with my UnRaid OS GUI on full display? 

In short, my goal is to use my UnRaid Server as as a standalone PC, but right now it behaves like headless unit eventhough I have it configured to boot straight into the UnRaid GUI.   Any help from anybody in the community will be welcome.  I need advice on what configuration changes I need to make so I can use my UnRaid Server as a standalone PC. Thank you for your time.

System Info:

SuperMicro X10SRH-CF Motherboard

128GB ECC RAM

Intel Xeon E5-2640 v3 CPU

UnRaid OS v6.9.1

Nvidia GT1030 GPU

Noctua Fans

Seagate 18TB Hard Drives

Edited by slipstream
  • slipstream changed the title to GUI Boot Mode fails & server prefers headless unit boot

Will my problem get fixed if I buy an VGA Emulator Plug? Like the one shown in the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/dummy-Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080/dp/B075ZMVGQS/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=VGA+Emulator+Plug&qid=1617879592&sr=8-4

My thinking is I get signal output from the onboard VGA on my Supermicro motherboard and if I insert this plug it could redirect the signal to my Nvidia HDMI port which is the port I need my monitor connected to.   PLEASE can anybody in this community please HELP.   Thank you for your time.

BUMP - Help please. Can someone out there at a minimum please confirm to me why the UnRaid OS does not output a HDMI output signal straight into my Nvidia card while it is booting up. I do not see the many lines of bootup text the UnRaid OS generates before it gets to the GUI. 

10 hours ago, itimpi said:

You said earlier that your GPU is set up to be passed through to a GPU?   If so you have probably isolated it and told unRaid to not use it for its own purposes?

Itimpi,

Thank you for your post. Correct, my Nvidia GT1030 has been passed through using the SpaceInvader One vBIOS dump script.  Can you please clarify the following. If the passthrough was done correctly, should my Nvidia GT1030 card be able to support both my Ubuntu VM video output and my UnRaid OS GUI video output on a single HDMI monitor?  Or is this thinking just plain wrong? 

You say I probably isolated it and told unRaid to not use it for its own purposes. Is there anyway I can change this so UnRaid is allowed to use my GPU Passthrough for its own purposes?

The anology I have is my Windows 10 Client PC.  On my Windows10 PC I can using only a single monitor get access to my motherboard BIOS if I want. If I allow it to boot pass the BIOS it then boots up straight into my Windows10 OS.  Once I am inside my Windows 10 OS I can launch a Virtual Machine using VMware. All of this can be done using a single monitor.

Am I plainly wrong to think the UnRaid OS should function in the same way using a single monitor?  Is there a special hardware configuration I need to use so I can get such funcitioanlity?  Thank you for your time.

System Info:

SuperMicro X10SRH-CF Motherboard

128GB ECC RAM

Intel Xeon E5-2640 v3 CPU

UnRaid OS v6.9.1

Nvidia GT1030 GPU

Noctua Fans

Seagate 18TB Hard Drives

Edited by slipstream