Network Error Cannot Access Certain Files (6.9.1)

Hello all,

I'm currently having an issue where I cannot access a file or folder someone else has placed on the server, nor they being able to access mine. When trying to access from my windows 10 laptop it comes up with the error:

Network Error

Windows cannot access \\servername\share\folder (or \\IP Address\share\folder)

You do not have permission to access \\servername\share\folder. Contact your network administrator to request access.

There is a link to go to a windows article about permissions but instead it just goes to the default Windows help page......

Everyone is using windows 10 laptops, I'm running Unraid 6.9.1, everyone involved has read/write access to the share, and I have even run the new permissions script, which works for existing files but starts again when new files are added ('old' files folders are still able to be accessed, only the files/folders added after the script is run cannot be accessed).

Is there some setting that I'm overlooking that needs to be changed to prevent this from happening?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. there is nothing in the syslog for the last twenty minutes prior to this happening besides disk spin up/down

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SergeantCC4 said:

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

It's difficult, without more information. Your diagnostics might help. For the shares in question, how have you configured SMB Security Settings (Public/Private/Secure)? If not Public, then how have you set up Users (Settings -> Users)? Do you have a User for each of your Windows users (preferably using the same login name and password as they use for Windows)?

Are you sure you are not falling foul of the following Windows "feature"?

There is an issue with the way Windows handles network shares that many users fall foul of:

This is the fact that Windows only allows a single username to be used to connect to a specific server at any given time. All attempts to then connect to a different share on the same server that are not public shares put up a Username/Password prompt and this fails as though you have entered an incorrect password for this username. If you have any shares on the server set to Private or Secure access it can therefore be important that you connect to such a share first before any shares set for Public access which may connect as a guest user and make subsequent attempts to connect with a specific user fail.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, John_M said:

It's difficult, without more information. Your diagnostics might help. For the shares in question, how have you configured SMB Security Settings (Public/Private/Secure)? If not Public, then how have you set up Users (Settings -> Users)? Do you have a User for each of your Windows users (preferably using the same login name and password as they use for Windows)?

I've uploaded my diagnostics zip. SMB is currently set Export: Yes, Case-Sensitive names: Auto, Security: Private. All users have Read/Write access save one and the guest of course. And everyone has their own unique username/password. 

On 4/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, John_M said:

Are you sure you are not falling foul of the following Windows "feature"?

I though this at first as I had this issue on another array of mine but everyone is able to access 99% of the files on the array in question. Occasionally someone will drop a file into a directory (does not have to be the same one each time) and the files/folders they put in are inaccessible. Everything else can still be accessed, just not the new files.

I should also note that we only have one private share on this server that we use (the one with the problems), we have one "guest" share that no one ever uses, and the appdata/system shares.

Again, thanks for your help, and please let me know if you need any more information. As you can imagine this is quite frustrating.

pieng-server-diagnostics-20210421-1044.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Randomly we'll have one person drop files onto the server (having logged in with their user credentials) and another person (with their own r/w credentials for that same share) will be unable to access the files unless I run the "New Permissions" function in Tools. This is become increasingly more problematic as we have to wait for this script to finish before we can access files thus defeating the whole purpose of having the server in the first place.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.