Prevent WD Blue from Headparking

Hello,

I am new to unraid and I build my Unraid server a week ago,

I used two HDD, 1 6TB Segate shucked white labeld and a WD60EZAZ.
My problem is that the WD HDD is parking its head way too often in 7 Days 20.000 time!

I read about tools who could set up the timer for head parking but none of them worked (I tried hdparm -B255 /dev/sdb (error: setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 04 51 40 00 21 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 APM_level      = not supported) and idle3tlc (idle3ctl  -g /dev/sdb = sg16(VSC_SENDKEY) failed: Invalid exchange)

Is there something I could do about this problem, maybe I did something wrong? Or is there a programm/plugin that reads something every 7 seconds so the head will not park.

I hope someone of you could help me

(English is not my first language. I apologize for any mistakes)

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

Are you sure that is what is happening? 

One of the features of Unraid is it will spin down disks that are not in use. 

I have set the timer to spin down to 15 Minutes, but I never seen them spin down, maybe this is because i run a Plexmediaserver.  I just tried to spin down the disk, but after 30 sekundes they spin up again because something writes a tiny amount of data (Urnaid show something betweeen 2,7kbit/s and 300bit/s).

I have an unused ssd in my unraid server, maybe I could move Plex to the sdd, and this could fix it, but I dont know how to do it

Edited by MrFinnLuikas
add infos
1 hour ago, trurl said:

If you have cache then dockers can run from cache and will only need to access array disks when actually reading/writing a file (movies, etc.)

I have now addet a chache drive to my system, deinstalled Plex and deletet the plex folder in appdata, then I set the appdata share to chache only and installed plex, but somehow something is still occasionally writting on my Array (every 15 second or something) even if plex is shutdown. I found that on my array there is a system folder with a docker.img has this something do with this? When I look into appdata on my Array the folder is empty and plex is on my cache drive.

1 minute ago, MrFinnLuikas said:

I have now addet a chache drive to my system, deinstalled Plex and deletet the plex folder in appdata, then I set the appdata share to chache only and installed plex, but somehow something is still occasionally writting on my Array (every 15 second or something) even if plex is shutdown. I found that on my array there is a system folder with a docker.img has this something do with this? When I look into appdata on my Array the folder is empty and plex is on my cache drive.

The Docker.img file will contain the binaries for any docker container plus any paths not mapped to be external to the container so having it on the array will definitely keep read/whites to the array occurring.

you may find this section of the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the GUI useful.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, itimpi said:

The Docker.img file will contain the binaries for any docker container plus any paths not mapped to be external to the container so having it on the array will definitely keep read/whites to the array occurring.

you may find this section of the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the GUI useful.

Thank you, know its working the way I wanted it to be, I moved all my Dockers and the Docker.img to my ssd an know my HDD is Spining down after 15 minutes, and my Paritiy Drive stays off when watching movies on plex, In the last 24H I just got 100 LCC.

Thank You all!