Array encryption and recommended hardware performance

I've been reading about the encryption feature but did not find much information about the expected performance hit.

I'm worried that my aging 4-core system would be far too weak for it and that I should not even bother trying turning it on: B75 Pro3-M, i7-2600K, 4x4GB DDR3.

I use 1 parity + 5 data disks without a cache drive. By using turbo writes, my write speed to the array is limited by the gigabit ethernet. I can already hit 50% CPU utilization if I, for example, use mc to copy lots of data and run some background docker apps. I'm thinking I don't have much headroom and seeing my speed drop to something like 50 MB/s with encryption would not be great at all.

Thank you for sharing any experience or feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that the effect of using encryption (xfs) on all array data disks and all cache pools has been negligible in my situation. Not only are the read/write speeds unchanged, the CPU utilization remains comparable to before. Note that I am not running any VMs, only a couple of dockers (Plex, downloaders ...).

I only noticed one peculiarity, but I'm unsure if encryption had anything to do with it. To avoid shuffling the data and encrypting the drives one by one, I copied the entire array to another NAS, deleted all partitions and set a new configuration (essentially building the array anew) and then copied everything back. When I initiated the formatting of the 5 data drives to xfs-encrypted, the CPU usage spiked to 100% on all cores for about 3-5 minutes. Within this timeframe, the UnRAID web interface was completely unresponsive for about 2 minutes. However, this may simply be considered normal operation? The previous time I built an array from scratch and formatted all the drives was in 2011, so I really can't make a comparison :) 

Edited by MadDiplomat
Spelling