Question on Disk locations vs physical locations

So,

Over the last few months i've been gradually retiring some old 2gb SAS drives (with escalating "Elements in grown defect list" errors) and replacing with some SATA 4Gb's.

As I run dual parity I could now retire my second shelf if I moved the drives into the spare bays in the server / shelf 1. (I've been using the zero method after clearing the data from the erroring drives - then removing when cleared)

From what I understand UnRAID doesn't care where the drives are physically - they are tracked by serial - so can someone confirm if I fill the redundant bays with the drives from/ shelf 2, and with screenshots ensure they are allocated the same position within UnRAID (this should be automatic) dual Parity will be maintained - the sda/sdb linux moniker is not relevent? 

It may annoy my OCD that drive25 maybe in bay 3 in my server and not bay 1 shelf 2, but I use "Disk Location" plugin so can track where drives are.

Is my thinking correct - I could do with removing shelf 2, if only to give my UPS a bit more headroom, and reduce some heat before we hit the 2 weeks of summer the UK has!

Flubster

21 hours ago, Flubster said:

if I fill the redundant bays with the drives from/ shelf 2, and with screenshots ensure they are allocated the same position within UnRAID (this should be automatic) dual Parity will be maintained - the sda/sdb linux moniker is not relevent? 

Correct, unless you're using RAID controllers or non standard enclosures, in which case the disks may not mount.