Disk Issues

Can someone give me some insight on if I need to order new drives or how I can run some test to determine if I do.

Details.

1) About two weeks ago one of my drives went offline. After removing it and putting it back in the array the drive reappeared. I was able to rebuild and everything was fine for 338 hours then the same thing happened. I can't be 100 certain it is the same drive -- it is from the same cage so I believe it is.

2) This time I can not rebuild. I tried to and I got a message about a drive had read errors.

3) SMART short self-test is no errors -- Extended self-test is running now. When this happened two weeks ago there were no errors. I do have a row highlighted UDMA CRC error count is at 121 -- Multi zone error rate has a raw value of 3.

4) A few months back the cache drive also went offline much like this data disk. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and it went back to working like normal.

Normally I would assume the data drive just needs replacing -- it is 4 years and 5 months old but that there was a previous identical issue with the cache drive that was not the HD I'm concerned something else is failing. How would I determine if it is the drives or something else?

I've been looking at your post for over an hour. Drives do fail.

My best advise is to buy whatever you need to backup what you have. Once you have a "copy" of everything, you'll be very comfortable to make all your (new) drives do what you want them to do.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

If you want some informed advice next time post the diagnostics after a drive fails.

What I was looking for was what diagnostic to look at or post.  My understanding is that there isn't a master diagnostic and through search I even got the impression that some diagnostics have to be posted before reboot so would be of no value now that I have rebooted many times and remove and added disks.

I've just ordered two new data drives and will have them in a couple of days but I would still be interested in understanding how to diagnose an issue like this -- what do I look at/post specifically and is there anything I need to know about stuff I need to not do (like rebooting) or do (like turning on some kind of extra error logging) to create reports that are useful to pinpoint the problem.