Reclaiming space on cache pool occupied by removed linux vm?

Deleted a Linux VM and it's image from the drop down menu on dashboard. Was going to add a new cache pool dedicated to host this vm and free space on original cache. I did not however get the space back and I assume this is because the creation of the Linux VM created a Linux partition within the cache drive and although the image was remove it did not remove the formatted space. Is this a good assumption and if so can it be re formatted or reclaimed without formatting the entire drive?

• PilotReelMedia changed the title to Reclaiming space on cache pool occupied by removed linux vm?

What you are describing is not what I would expect.     Normally a VM runs from a vdisk which is simply a file and removing that file will release irs space.    However you may not get back as much as you expect vdisk files are actually created as ‘sparse’ files and so you only get back the space the file actually used which can be a lot less that’s the logical size.

have you actually checked that the vdisk file really HAS been removed?

Just now, PilotReelMedia said:

Yes. It is no longer present. Krusader nor Win Explorer see the vdisk. I'll see if there something else taking up space but there was literally no change when I remove a 100G  VM. Does it take time for the space to show as free?

Should show up instantly.  

2 hours ago, PilotReelMedia said:

Okay I think I found the culprit... Krusader is showing as 125G. I am doing a back-up of a 600G windows 10 image. I had know idea Krusader would occupy so much space as a docker image.

The Krusader docker container is nowhere near that large :(  Not sure what could make it use up that much space.