Trying to Upgrade my USB drive. Need some help.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

Are you using USB2 port for creating and booting? USB2 ports are more reliable.

Yes. Tried every USB port on my computer. Then I fired up an old Win 7 puter this morning and configured the USB drives again. Still no boot!

I have had another drive arrive this morning. Don't hold much hope though!

Success!!  Can't believe it!

The new USB drive booted. First...I did the format on my old Win 7. The USB booted first time.

Then, I decided to reformat and do the whole thing again on my usual Win 10 machine. And...thankfully, it also booted.

The downside is, that this appears to be the slowest USB drive I've ever had. It took twice as long to write unraid to it, and first boot was incredibly slow. However, 2nd boot seemed faster. Reviews seems to support the fact this is a slow drive. Should that matter??

I have decided to purchase one more brand - which appears to have a better name and a long warranty. I uncertain if it is the exactly the same model as posted on these forums, but time will tell. It should arrive tomorrow, so we will see. Until then...

• Like 1

Using a ‘slow’ USB drive only means the boot process takes longer.    Once the boot has finished the speed of the USB drive is almost irrelevant as Unraid runs from RAM with only occasional small writes of configuration related data to the USB drive.   However I would have expected boot times to be consistent - no obvious reason why the second boot should be faster than the first.

25 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Using a ‘slow’ USB drive only means the boot process takes longer.    Once the boot has finished the speed of the USB drive is almost irrelevant as Unraid runs from RAM with only occasional small writes of configuration related data to the USB drive.   However I would have expected boot times to be consistent - no obvious reason why the second boot should be faster than the first.

That makes sense. First boot stopped after reading all the HDD's (like it was waiting for something). Then it continued without hitch.

2nd boot didn't stop at that point, so not sure why it happened.

Hope to get another drive tomorrow - supposedly a better quality one. Let's hope it boots :) Thanks