Disk is hot

Hi all,

Over the last week, I've been getting lots of reports from my server that the disks are hot, regularly reaching 46-47 degrees C. After a while, they return to "not hot", but they are still above 40 degrees.

I'm starting to worry about the longevity of the disks and whether this is a big problem or not. I know disks prefer below 40 degrees, but the server is sitting in my living room. With spring finally arriving and ever-increasing temperatures outside and inside, I need to know if I'm looking at an impending disaster.

I have an array of 8 HGST 7K6 SAS3 6TB disks, with single parity. Single cache disk, Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD.

Server is a Dell PowerEdge T430, currently single CPU (passively cooled with heatsink), 1x 140mm fan at the back. I could possibly install a second fan to help increase the airflow, but as this is a Dell server, there aren't many options to install extra cooling.

My plans for this server were to upgrade to dual CPU, more memory, pop in two graphics cards for VM passthrough, a wifi/bluetooth card and a USB controller, but now I'm concerned that the extra components will introduce so much extra heat that the disks will constantly be hot and fail prematurely.

54 minutes ago, 6of6 said:

What was happening the weeks before this?... Everything normal?

Yeah, everything's been quite normal, and the weather's been cooler, too. Now that it's getting warmer outside, naturally the inside temps rise as well, which sort of explains what I'm seeing, but I don't want to lose 20TB data just because summer's coming. And turning the server off for 4-5 months isn't really an option either...

I'll turn down the heat when I get home and see if I can get away with that (fiancee thinks ambient temperatures below 25 deg C are "cold"), otherwise I have a problem. I don't really have anywhere else to put the server than where it's sitting at the moment.