Raid parity disk failing, overutilization of i/o?

Caennanu

Good day all,

Currently i'm (still) running a ryzen 7 1700 as my unraid. My Epyc system is in the mail, but wanted to double check.

Recently have the issue that my parity disk keeps having errors and thus failing.

Since i experienced this issue before when adding more pci-e cards, i'm thinking it is related to this. 

Currently i have a GT710 (x1 card) GTX1050ti (x16 card) a SAS controller (x4 card) and a NIC (x1 card)  installed in the system.

Together, this would mean i'm using 22 pci-e lanes, where the ryzen system only has 20 for pci-e slots and 4 are used for the chipset.

Together these cards would overutilize the max with by 2, and since i'm also running an nvme drive on these, i would theoretically sit at 26 pci-e lanes, and thus overutilize it all by 6. Setting the 1050 to x8 (since i really don't need all 16 lanes for encoding CCTV) doesn't really solve the issue tho.

Can overutilization of pci-e lanes cause disks to fail?

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can't do this, you can't use more PCIe lanes than there are available.

well yes, so when all are bussy and you try to write something and thus claim a lane to write it on, it won't, and so you get errors?

The only other options i can think off . . . are defective controller or disk.

But since i only seem to experience this issue when i'm adding things (be it hardware additions or more I/O)

Edited by Caennanu
7 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Again you can't use more lanes than the available ones, if for example the board shares lanes between an M.2 slot and a PCIe slot you can use one or the other, never both at the same time, it just won't detect the second device/controller.

right, so during boot it will select which devices it can allocate and 'dedicate' lanes to them. If it can't allocate resources it simply won't see it and thus it won't show up at all to be used. That makes sence.

Than the only conclusions i could make are that i have a defective controller or disk. darnit :P

Luckily the Epyc system will have onboard controllers, so i can atleast test that bit.

Edited by Caennanu