shucked wd disk giving strange results (Solved)

Hi,

I am trying to make sure a recently schucked wd 12tb disk is ok to put in my prod unraid system.

I am checking it out on my new dev unraid system 6.9.2, which has nothing else other than this on new amd system (i am hoping to upgrade my old system to this mobo later).

I had a lot of trouble getting it to be recognised. i did a single run preclear of the disk in its preshucked usb drive state (which was fine). I had to put the kapton tape on the 3rd pin on the sata drive and that improved it.

When i boot unraid it gets stuck for a fair while (on the log output of "random: crng init done") on the original definition of the disk before finally timing out and then coming up after 5 minutes.

I have it defined as a non parity drive (disk 1) and can write to it. I guess i need it to forget about the sda definition for the disk as that causes the delays and causes the UI to be non responsive as some of the cpu's seem to be running flatchat trying to dop something (spit out log messages).

Hope that makes sense.

File attached below.

regards dave

tower-diagnostics-20210701-2222.zip

Edited by daver
solved

Disk is sdc, sda is this:

Jul  1 03:52:49 Tower kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WD       Elements 25A3    1030 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jul  1 03:52:49 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Jul  1 03:52:49 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Unit Not Ready

Maybe you left the USB enclosure connected?

• daver changed the title to shucked wd disk giving strange results (Solved)