Adding data disk larger than parity drive

Hello!

I am aware, that generally your parity drives need to be at least as large as your largest data disk.

Here is the thing:

I ordered a 16 TB WD Elements from Amazon, but the nice guys shipped me a 18TB. I am running dual parity with 2x 16TB Exos drives. I just tried to add this to my array, expecting it to just add it (with only 16 TB useable). I am used for this to work with Synology NAS systems, where you can only use as much space as the parity allows, when you then upgrade parity disks the additional space gets allocated. Sadly, unraid doesn't let me do this and expects a parity swap procedure instead.

Before I put my 18TB to the side until I can afford DECENT 18TB parity drives (don't fancy those "internal use" WDs as parity compared to the great performing EXOS drives). Is there really no other way?

Just now, JorgeB said:

Always, you can use the new larger drive as parity and the old parity as data.

Well I would need to get a second 18TB drive (it's a dual parity system), additionally I am concerned about system performance using a white label internal use WD drives for parity, in my experience they run very hot and don't perform great, it's a WD180EDGZ). 18 TB exos drives on the other hand are stupid expensive at the moment. So I was hoping there was  away to limit the useable drive size from 18 to 16 TB somehow.