Default partition format:

Just search for a utility that does a raw data wipe on a drive. It'll write zero's to the whole thing. You could even stop it after the first bit because you just have to wipe out the start of the drive.

PS, you could download and use the preclear script. It will not allow you to preclear a drive that is assigned to the array.

Peter

Just search for a utility that does a raw data wipe on a drive. It'll write zero's to the whole thing. You could even stop it after the first bit because you just have to wipe out the start of the drive.

PS, you could download and use the preclear script. It will not allow you to preclear a drive that is assigned to the array.

Peter

preclear_disk.sh -l will list potential candidates

preclear_disk.sh -z /dev/sdX

will remove the MBR of the designated drive.

I have just got through building & installing unraid 4.7

I have installed & am close to filling 2 x WD20EARS. (No jumpers)

I did not have the default partition management set to MBR: 4K-aligned.

Parity has not been assigned yet.

If I change the MBR will I loose all data on the drives ?

What performance issues will I have if I leave them as they are ?

If I need to change the MBR should I assign the parity drive then rebuild the data on the drives ?

Also I probably need to ask this in a new thread but I am copying data to the array from an iomega storcenter ix2 but the transfer rate is only showing 4.99MB/sec.

I thought that transfers would be faster without parity assigned

If you change the default setting on the unRAID management interface it will affect only future disks.  If you change the MBR on the disk already installed you'll lose all the data on it.

It will be slower when accessing small files.  Probably not noticeable when playing movies, music.

If I need to change the MBR should I assign the parity drive then rebuild the data on the drives ?

That is one way.

Also I probably need to ask this in a new thread but I am copying data to the array from an iomega storcenter ix2 but the transfer rate is only showing 4.99MB/sec.

It all depends.  If your iomega storcenter only has a 100Mbit LAN connection the fastest you'll ever get is about 10-12 MB/s

In the past it has been found that the source of data is as likely as anything to be the bottleneck.

Tom needs to make the interface a bit more intuitive. Too many guys are missing this setting hidden away in the settings page.

I disagree on this point.  The default is set to aligned on in the 5.0bX builds, but not for 4.7 so as to be more backwards compatible.  If someone sets up a server in 4.7 with 4K align then there is NO going back if they need/want to.

The setting is a little "hidden" but it is on the settings page along with everything else... people just need to look for it.

If you change the default setting on the unRAID management interface it will affect only future disks.  If you change the MBR on the disk already installed you'll lose all the data on it.

I will leave the drives as they are for now. I have changed the settings so that all future drives are formatted as 4k-aligned

It will be slower when accessing small files.  Probably not noticeable when playing movies, music.

That is one way.

Just installed & formatted a new drive as 4k aligned. I am now copying BD iso's to the drive 1.60TB which looks like it will take 4 days to complete. Once done I will compare the read performance for 4k-aligned & non aligned on a Dune HD media player. If the Blu Ray iso's play with no issues then I will probably leave the drives as they are.

It all depends.  If your iomega storcenter only has a 100Mbit LAN connection the fastest you'll ever get is about 10-12 MB/s

In the past it has been found that the source of data is as likely as anything to be the bottleneck.

The Storecenter is connected to a Pluscom 8way switch that connects to a BT home hub version1. My computer is connected to the BT home Hub & the Unraid server is connected to the 8 way switch so I think the BT home hub & the switch could also be acting as a bottle neck. Looks like I need to rethink my network to get the best from everything.

Archived