SOLVIED - Issues with VMs Br0

Go to solution Solved by chris_netsmart,

I am trying to build a VM machine within unraid and I am running into muiti issues and I can't see why.

for starts when I create a VM for Windows or Linux and it get's to the formatting and installing the OS, but for some reason it informs me that it can't see the HD.   I also see that when I create the VM template I am not able to choose BR01 for my Nic ?  is there a reason why.

I have attach a few screen shots of my Linux build template in the hope that you are can help me resolve this issue.

image.thumb.png.b7ea9cdcd971cc62eedef714496ce7f4.png

image.png.39a3b3a830d6cd78e3517e4b08833fab.png

I have also downloaded and tried a pre imaged machine " Home Assistant "  this finfs the Hard drive and loads but at the end, when I try and connect to it, I discover that I have no network.   Note: my IP range is 192.168.1.* and not 182.168.122.*

image.thumb.png.c7e9091eaf10151050dc006ebe2718ac.png

can someone please help

Edited by chris_netsmart
2 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

I am trying to build a VM machine within unraid and I am running into muiti issues and I can't see why.

Hello, from your post, I am not sure that it is in the right forum section.

Are you using a VM of Unraid in another system (ESXI or other) ?

Or your Unraid runs on bare metal ?

1 hour ago, ChatNoir said:

Hello, from your post, I am not sure that it is in the right forum section.

Are you using a VM of Unraid in another system (ESXI or other) ?

Or your Unraid runs on bare metal ?

Sorry  I am trying to get a VM Guest to run on my Unraid server 

UPDATE:  I have been able to get a Linux guest to up and running, but now I have a second question,  

my default IP address is 192.168.1.*  but when I do a ifconfig I am getting a 192.168.122.* IP address

I am able to ping out from my Linux VM Guest but as the IP address is different from my main IP range I am not able to ping the VM Guest.

how do I resolve this ? 

Edited by chris_netsmart
42 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

my default IP address is 192.168.1.*  but when I do a ifconfig I am getting a 192.168.122.* IP address

It seems you are using the virbr0, which by default has 192.168.122.x ip address.

You need to use one of your network card and make a bridge (br0), and use in the vm br0 instead of virbr0, so to be on the same network of the host in the guest, i.e. 192.168.1.*

Or you need to dedicate one of your network card for passthrough to your vm and set in the guest the 192.168.1.* ip.

Edited by ghost82
1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

It seems you are using the virbr0, which by default has 192.168.122.x ip address.

You need to use one of your network card and make a bridge (br0), and use in the vm br0 instead of virbr0, so to be on the same network of the host in the guest, i.e. 192.168.1.*

Or you need to dedicate one of your network card for passthrough to your vm and set in the guest the 192.168.1.* ip.

ok now I am confused.   I only have one NIC on the server and that is build to the motherboard

when I go and have a look at Network settings within the VM, I am not offer the option to changed to a br0

so are you saying that I will need a second card in the server to allow me to create a br0 ? and if no how to do go about creating one, as at the moment I have no VM's within my environment.

being doing some reading and tried the following but so far no joy.

root@Tower:~# docker network ls
NETWORK ID     NAME      DRIVER    SCOPE
a2f40977e137   bridge    bridge    local
68a69738a90b   eth0      macvlan   local
eff7755f7d45   host      host      local
777f807d4bc6   none      null      local
root@Tower:~# docker network create -d macvlan --subnet=192.168.1.0/24 --gateway=192.168.1.1 -o parent=br0 br0
Error response from daemon: Pool overlaps with other one on this address space
root@Tower:~# 

rm /var/lib/docker/network/files/local-kv.db

/etc/rc.d/rc.docker restart

ls -a /etc/rc.d
./     rc.S*              rc.cgred      rc.haveged*    rc.kpropd           rc.modules*        rc.rsyslogd*  rc.snmpd.bak
../    rc.acpid*          rc.cpufreq*   rc.inet1*      rc.krb5kdc          rc.modules.local*  rc.samba*     rc.sshd*
rc.0@  rc.apcupsd*        rc.crond*     rc.inet1.conf  rc.libvirt*         rc.nfsd*           rc.saslauthd  rc.sysvinit*
rc.4*  rc.atd*            rc.diskinfo*  rc.inet2*      rc.local*           rc.nginx*          rc.serial     rc.udev*
rc.6*  rc.avahidaemon*    rc.dnsmasq    rc.inetd*      rc.local_shutdown*  rc.ntpd*           rc.setterm*   rc.vnstat*
rc.K*  rc.avahidnsconfd*  rc.docker*    rc.ip_forward  rc.loop*            rc.php-fpm*        rc.smartd     rc.wireguard*
rc.M*  rc.cgconfig        rc.fuse3*     rc.kadmind     rc.messagebus*      rc.rpc*            rc.snmpd

I have also tried this

Restart the Unraid, 

dont initialize the array just yet....

go to SETTINGS, Network Settings,  change the desired MTU: to 1500( you have to put in 1500, what shows in the box is just a place-holder and not the actual number 1500)

Click on APPLY. 

you will lose network connectivity, so go to the server and restart it there.

• chris_netsmart changed the title to SOLVIED - Issues with VMs Br0