Host controller for SAS expander

Hey gang.

I just picked up an HP HPE Smart SAS expander (https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111623.pdf?ver=20) to use in a spare tower case I have.  I have three 5x drive cages in that tower and I want to support 15 disks in it, connected to my current unraid server.

Curious what sort of controller card I will need in the unraid server itself.  I've got an LSI in it now, controlling 16 internal disks.  Will a second LSI with a simple matching external port, and then cable, get the job done?  I'm sure I'm complicating this, it seems pretty straight forward, but I want to make sure I get the correct controller to support an SAS expander in essentially an external JBOD.

Thanks.

A couple follow ups.

The expander that will exist in the JBOD is 3gbps.  This is for simple media storage, largely, so I hope that doesn't present a significant bottleneck.

The expander has one port on it (externally).  I hope that a single port-to-port connection between the server and the JBOD doesn't present a bottleneck.

Assuming I can get a 6gbps host adapter cheaply, I assume that if I connect a 6gbps controller to a 3gbps expander, it will work, it will just down-clock to 3gbps?

And one final.. Something like an LSI 9200-8E can handle 8 drives, right?  Vs a -16 which can handle 16?  Or does it not matter, because the expander is taking one external port and converting it two more internal ports?  Trying to figure out what sort of internal controller I need to get 15 drives in the JBOD.

Thanks.

Edited by tucansam
11 hours ago, tucansam said:

I hope that a single port-to-port connection between the server and the JBOD doesn't present a bottleneck.

If the expander suports SATA2 (earlier firmwares can only link @ 1.5gbps with SATA devices) you'll have around 1100MB/s usable for to all the devices with a single link.

• 3 weeks later...