unassigned drive keeps going read only when mounted.. Windows says Catastrophic failure

comet424

so i trying to get my rsync to work..  when i ran it its supposed to be going into a log file.. but it wasnt .. it kept saying cant file or whatever is read only etc

when i share my ntfs drive .. and in windows i try to create a file on the drive i get whats in the pic..  

i also included my diganostic.. i trying to rsync  to both my 6tb unassigned drives.. but i dont see any issues..  it used to work now i getting this

my one rysnc code is 

rsync --protect-args -avu --stats --numeric-ids --progress '/mnt/user/Music/Music' '/mnt/disks/Music Drive 1' --delete >> /mnt/user/Temp/logs/cronlogs/Music_Drive_1.log

does the diagnostics say the drive is locked or anything?

i cant see no smart errors so i dont know how to fix

unraid unassigned.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20210821-1544.zip

ah is there a script  to add to unraid so when i click Mount   it forces the drive to be mounted writeable?  it doesnt mount with the Read Only button  thats toggled off.

and maybe its my enclosure that unmounts the drive.. 

so does that mean i need to shove the drive back into windows  then do the safetly remove drive.. then shove it back into unraid  for updates

or is there a script i can add..  so each time i mount the drive  for updates unraid forces it into writeable mode....

tried that passthrough toggle switch that did nothing not sure how that works

also tried to add to a VM  as a 2nd hard drive.. but when i choose save button  it doesnt give me control of the VM...   so i guess i need to shove back into  the enclosure back into a real windows machine

guess its not working?   i put the hard drive back into the windows machine i was able to write to the drive..  i did a windows shut down  so it would do a clean shut down

i plugged back into unraid.. ran that rysnc command up above.. and it still failed..  says drive is write protected.. but i can right to the drive throught he samba unraid share..

i ran your command and got

root@Tower:~# ntfsfix /dev/sdn1
Mounting volume... The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... 
Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
Reading $MFT... OK
Reading $MFTMirr... OK
Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Setting required flags on partition... OK
Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)... OK
Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.
NTFS partition /dev/sdn1 was processed successfully.
root@Tower:~# ntfsfix /dev/sdo1
Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sdo1.

when i run rsycn  after this i still get read only file system (30)

but i shoved it back into a windows machine..  

i currently doing a unraid reboot see if that fixes it.. but i did a clean shut down in windows..   so i dont get it

should i be running exFat instead of NTFS?  for issues like this wont happen in unraid or is ntfs  still far better system

Edited by comet424

a reboot seemed to fix it and it changed the drive labels too??

it was what like sdo and sdn

when i rebooted they are now  sdj and sdk

is that normal? ... for now i guess its good to reboot unraid too.  its probably good for it too..

but ya  the reboot of unraid fix it the command above didnt nore sticking into windows..  i wonder what causes all this

36 minutes ago, comet424 said:

a reboot seemed to fix it and it changed the drive labels too??

it was what like sdo and sdn

when i rebooted they are now  sdj and sdk

is that normal? ... for now i guess its good to reboot unraid too.  its probably good for it too..

but ya  the reboot of unraid fix it the command above didnt nore sticking into windows..  i wonder what causes all this

Yes, the drive designations can change on a reboot.

35 minutes ago, comet424 said:

should i be able to unmount a drive pull it out.. then shove it into windows  and then shut down windows and shove it back into unraid  mount and have no issues right..

and all because of an unclean windows shut down causes all this?

Yes, it should work this way.  Be sure to properly shut it down in Windows and Unraid to prevent these kinds of issues.

i thought i shut down windows properlty i just shut down windows and then pull the power on the enclosure.. i never had this issue before s

so confusing..  but will see what happens next time...i guess they lock the drive?  till windows sees it and unlocks the drive to fix the issue