Snazio NetCinema HD Player SZ1350

daquint

Hi I have a Snazio 1350HD, however I've yet to receive my unraid key (should be today as I got a note in the post yesterday telling my I have £18.75 duty to pay on something....:( )

ANYWAY.... I'm currently using the Snazio with my Suse Linux Server and the method of connecting it would be the same for unraid.

IMPORTANT! You need to have an available networked Windows PC (or Mac) on which to run the Snazio (Vone.exe) software and create the necessary file folders on the PC to store the Movies, Music etc. 

You can then place shortcuts within those folders to all your shared network folders no problem, so as long as you have a PC somewhere running 24/7 that you can leave Snazzi software running on you're OK.  Be aware that you can't access the network shares directly like you apparantly  can with the Roku HD1500.

In my case it's my HTPC, it happily runs Snazzi software in background and serves the Snazio in the living room.

I will point out to you that I've not has a problem free time with the Snazio, though I know it's not related to my file server as I've taken it to a pal's house and had the same problems there with no separate fileserver.  I've recently upgraded to the May2006 firmware and most of my problems (stalling & unwatchably choppy on anything video but not music) seem to have been cured but I now have a new problem where for each change of .vob on a DVD I get a black screen pause and the filename of the vob displayed for around a second before the movie continues.  I only discovered this last night and will be looking into it today.

If I get this working through the Snazio is the Ideal piece of kit to extend my Media network anywhere in the house.

daquint,

I prefer media clients that do not require a host on the server pc so I went the XBOX/XBMC route though I did experiment with the Mediagate MG-35, but had to give it up due to the low WAF.

If you would like to go the XBMC route, I have all the info on how to hardware mod an XBOX and have identified all of the sources for the BIOS, Dashboard and latest T3CH XBMC builds.

I presently have three chip-modded XBOXes running XBMC and they work fine with my two unRaid servers.

Regards,

TCIII

daquint,

I prefer media clients that do not require a host on the server pc so I went the XBOX/XBMC route though I did experiment with the Mediagate MG-35, but had to give it up due to the low WAF.

If you would like to go the XBMC route, I have all the info on how to hardware mod an XBOX and have identified all of the sources for the BIOS, Dashboard and latest T3CH XBMC builds.

I presently have three chip-modded XBOXes running XBMC and they work fine with my two unRaid servers.

Regards,

TCIII

Tom,

What is WAF? Just curious as I have a MG-35.

I looked for a good networked player and the one that seemed the best is the kiss dp-600 however it doesn't come out until sometime this summer and retail is supposed to be around 700 clams.  I went an alternate route and rolled my own bought the pundit ah1 from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856110050 along with a gig o mem and a 3000+  and a dvd drive.  I had a spare hd so I used it and put MCE on it.  Cost about 450 for everything and its working great!

Hi all,

A hardware modded XBOX running XBMC will run around $160:  $100 for a used XBOX if you do not already have one, $60 for a X3 mod-chip, little bit of your time if you are handy with a soldering iron (if not, there are modders who will do the installation for a price), and a bunch of freeware that is being constantly updated and supported.

$160 is pretty cheap for for a media client that can upscale its video output (720p and 1080i), displays movies and music files as thumbnails and not file folders (think MG-35 here), displays the weather in your local area, and a host of other neat things. And it can be used to play games too!!!

Also, as I said before, XBMC does not need a host running on your server pc! To me, any media client that requires host is a point design and I rather not use point design hardware.

Just a thought.

And Suse User, thanks for filling in. Around my place, WAF is very important as I build media clients for clients occasionally and if the wife can make it work, it will work for my clients.

Regards,

TCIII

Archived