SSD not recognized

flobbr

Hi, yesterday i had this very weird issue. I got an email notification that there are plugin updates available. So i went ahead to the GUI and chose to install all updates. It got stuck on updating the rclone plugin. After a good 30 minutes i aborted the update but the server was slow as heck and alll CPU cores showed nearly 100% occupation. I chose to wait a few hours but nothing changed. I then pompted to do a reboot via GUI but nothing happened. I went to the terminal and sent the reboot command. Nothing happened. So i did a hard shutdown by holding down the power button.

Server went out, ich waited for a bit and then restarted. Server booted up fine, normal CPU occupation, but both cache drives had an issue (i run two SSD drives n a pool): One wasn't showing up at all and the other said "Unmountable: no file system". I googled fpr a bit and found this: 

Tried to work that out and could rebuilt some data but its only the file names showing with a size of 0 kb.

I then unconnected both drives and plugged them in in different SATA ports but still one unrecognizable and the other one with no filesystem.

Now the very very very dumb part: I thought that i could get the not recognized drive to work again so i formatted the other one as the data wasn't recorvered correctly. I have a backup of alle thr appdata on the drive so thats okay but all my VM vdisks are gone now which is a huuuuuge problem!

Any tips for how i get to get the SSD working again? I already contacted a data recovery lab but that would be last resort.

Pool of RAID1. Yeah, the drive doesn't show up at all. Nowhere. Neither on my other pc so i think it may be an electric failure?

The pool doesn't exist anymore since i formatted the other drive and unraid couldn't find the other one.

The update which caused the problem happened yesterday at around 10AM if that helps with the logs.

I think i am going to send in the drive to a recovery lab and see...

2 minutes ago, flobbr said:

Pool of RAID1. Yeah, the drive doesn't show up at all. Nowhere. Neither on my other pc so i think it may be an electric failure?

The pool doesn't exist anymore since i formatted the other drive and unraid couldn't find the other one.

The update which caused the problem happened yesterday at around 10AM if that helps with the logs.

I think i am going to send in the drive to a recovery lab and see...

If you are checking with Windows did you use Disk Management?

If you Stop the Array does it ask you to format the unmountable drives?

1 minute ago, sheldz8 said:

If you are checking with Windows did you use Disk Management?

Yes, didn't show up as well.

1 minute ago, sheldz8 said:

If you Stop the Array does it ask you to format the unmountable drives?

It did for the drive i chose to format. The other one doesn'tm show up at all.

9 hours ago, flobbr said:

Yes, didn't show up as well.

It did for the drive i chose to format. The other one doesn'tm show up at all.

Does your BIOS detect the faulty disk? Try looking in Device Manager on Windows and diskpart using cmd

Try installing the pre clear plugin and see if it recognizes it 

I think this is a faulty ssd

Edited by sheldz8
  • 2 weeks later...