Jump to content

Assign shares to another disk


Recommended Posts

So when I originally built my server I misunderstood the cache drive option and never added one. So I currently have a nvme drive as disk 1 included in the array. 

 

I'm expanding my server and adding 4 new disks and replacing parity with a larger disk. 

I want to relocate all shares on disk 1 to another disk on the array, and convert it to a cache disk. What do I need to do to safely move the data without losing the docker and app configs?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, GuyNamedTyler said:

las-noches-diagnostics-20210909-0647.zip 138.58 kB · 2 downloads

I attached the diagnostics

 

Could it be as simple as adding the new drives to be included in the shares, copy the data, then remove the old disk from the share settings?

Not quite.   When you remove a drive you invalidate parity (unless you have taken a special step to make sure it is all zeroes).

 

what you should do is use the Tools->New Config option and then return to the Main tab to make any changes to the drive assignments (this can involve,adding, removing, re-ordering drives).   When you start the array to commit the assignments, Unraid  will start rebuilding parity based on the new set of data drives.

Link to comment

Go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager. Leave them disabled until we get things reconfigured.

 

When you New Config, assign that nvme as cache and the other disks as you wish. Be very sure you don't assign any disk with data on it to any parity slot.

 

After parity builds post new diagnostics so we can see how things are. Probably running mover at that point will get most things where you want them.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, trurl said:

Go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager. Leave them disabled until we get things reconfigured.

 

When you New Config, assign that nvme as cache and the other disks as you wish. Be very sure you don't assign any disk with data on it to any parity slot.

 

After parity builds post new diagnostics so we can see how things are. Probably running mover at that point will get most things where you want them.

If appdata and the other default shares are configured for disk 1, what happens when the nvme is converted to cache? Does cache drop the disk number and let me assign a new disk as 1?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, GuyNamedTyler said:

If appdata and the other default shares are configured for disk 1, what happens when the nvme is converted to cache? Does cache drop the disk number and let me assign a new disk as 1?

User shares will include them whatever disk they are on.

 

They are configured to prefer cache, which is why I said

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Probably running mover at that point will get most things where you want them.

We can work on whatever remains before enabling dockers/VMs.

 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, trurl said:

They are configured to prefer cache, which is why I said

We can work on whatever remains before enabling dockers/VMs.

 

Think  I understand now, looks like im running into an issue with remaining sata ports, so far im not able to add any disks. 

Is there a pci controller with 2 internal sas ports and 2 external ones that works with unraid?

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...