Parity check found 142 errors, can't tell which disk is causing this

adamreid

HI there,

When I've had failing disks before, unraid would show an error count on the main screen, however after the most recent parity check I've noticed that the system found and fixed 142 errors. I've attached my diagnostics and smart reports but I can't seem to figure out what drive or controller is causing the issue. Could somebody please point me in the right direction? 

My system is a Ryzen 2600, MSI B450-A Pro, 24gb ram @ 2933, LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9200-8i = (9211-8I) IT Mode controller & Asus 1050ti

Thanks in advance for your help

Unraid issues.zip

ughhhh, I had to turn the system off (gracefully) last night because one of the breakers in our house tripped so I shut everything down before resetting the RCD, I didn't see the results of my parity check until this afternoon. I'll watch for this happening again and then check syslog. Thank you.

7 hours ago, adamreid said:

found and fixed 142 errors

Why were you running a correcting parity check? You should run non-correcting parity checks until you determine you have sync errors that need to be corrected. You don't want to discover that you have another disk obviously causing problems and corrupting parity because you always run correcting checks.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Why were you running a correcting parity check? You should run non-correcting parity checks until you determine you have sync errors that need to be corrected. You don't want to discover that you have another disk obviously causing problems and corrupting parity because you always run correcting checks.

You know what I have no idea, I must've set 'Write corrections to parity disk' to yes without thinking about it years ago. Should I set this to no?

Ok so I set it to no, re-ran the test and my parity1 drive is now showing 493 errors and unraid reports the following:

Last check completed on Fri 17 Sep 2021 04:11:25 PM AEST (today)
Finding 5789 errors Duration: 19 hours, 7 minutes, 57 seconds. Average speed: 87.1 MB/sec

unraid-diagnostics-20210917-1615.zip

Could this be from a failing sas to sata cable or a my hba failing? I suppose it could be the disk but just seems random that I've had two fail like this in the last month. 

At one stage during the check it slowed down to single digits megabytes /sec for a while as well. How should I proceed from here?

Edit: I'm a fucking idiot and probably didn't un-tick write corrections to parity when I ran the check, I just un-ticked it in scheduler. 

Edited by adamreid