New build advices

KingHives

Hi everyone,  I'm kinda just need some hardware check from the experienced users here around. 

Situation :

I'm actually using a standard 2 bay Qnap system for storing mostly multimedia content and hosting a Plex server.
I also have a raspberry pi hosting some Radarr/Sonarr activity.

The qnap config is a simple 2x8TB HDD (WD red) in RAID 1 giving me an 8TB volume which is almost full, I thought of upgrading to a larger Qnap system, but after some reading and giving that I have mostly Movies and series stored, the Raid redundancy is not an important need for me and would gladly sacrifice redundancy for more Raw storage.

Goals:

To do so, I thought of building an Unraid server to host a couple (two for now) of Debian (with no GUI) server and have an array of five disks (4x8TB and 1x 10TB for parity ?!).

I also need to be able to access files outside of my LAN and have friend connecting to it with their own account to store and retrieve files (docs and photos).

Questions :
- To my understanding this could give me 32 Tb available volume with one disk failure resulting in losing no data ?

- Attached is the hardware config I'm planning on getting, would you have any replacement/add suggestion to fulfill my use case ?

- Can I configure the volume only with three disk and copy my Data's from existing NAS before adding the two remaining drives ?

- What's are the standard service to be able to access files from a web GUi and have user management enabled ?

Planned config :

- CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + Noctua NH-U9S  (choosen for virtualisation capacity)

- MB MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS (globaly fueature set)

- RAM Kingston FURY Beast

- SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1TB  (for caching mainly, overkill ?)

- Expansion card Delock Contrôleur SATA PCI-Ex4 - 5x SATA3 interne

- PSU Corsair RM850 *2019* RM850 

- Case Corsair Carbide 678C

- Also, my LAN is 10GBs capable, would it be worth to add a 10Gbs NIC ?

- Disks Seagate IronWolf 10TB x1 & Seagate IronWolf 8TB x2 (WD red 8TB x2 taht I already own)

I do realise there's a ton of posts like this existing, but thought some of your comment would be relevant to my particular use case so sorry in advance :)

NAS.png

55 minutes ago, KingHives said:

I also need to be able to access files outside of my LAN and have friend connecting to it with their own account to store and retrieve files (docs and photos).

In general, you don't need a very powerful machine, but you need Unraid take over past functionality. You need 3rd party plugin/docker etc., this seems harder part, I haven't such idea, because I haven't such need.

1 hour ago, KingHives said:

To my understanding this could give me 32 Tb available volume with one disk failure resulting in losing no data ?

Yes

1 hour ago, KingHives said:

Also, my LAN is 10GBs capable, would it be worth to add a 10Gbs NIC ?

For fast local access then Yes, otherwise multi 1G port also enough.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Why you quote in 2 qty , only some chips solution are recommend, you need identify which chips that controller use.

An you miss GPU, then you can't connect to monitor for init setup.

Thanks for the GPU notice I might have one from an old build laying around  ! As for Why I was counting two, it's for backup and expandability purpose !