Unraid USB drive smoked itself and now doesn't work

I was running the latest version of 6.9.2.

I logged into unraid today and got a message that the USB drive had "dropped off" and could be corrupt.

Rebooted and no dice.

Reformatted the drive on my windows PC and reinstalled UNRAID.  USB key seems perfectly fine with no errors on format.

But, when I put it into my NAS computer, the computer seems to recognize it and try to boot off of it (key is flashing like normal), but the screen is blank the whole time and nothing happens.  Sometimes the computer just jumps into the bios after a few minutes.

Any idea what the heck is going on here?

Edited by Belgian Genius
Error
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Do you have a backup of your flash drive?

No, I just reflashed it with a clean image.

The data is all saved on my hard drives, right?

I realized after I screwed myself by wiping the flash drive, but I never realized UnRaid saved anything to the flash drive.

First things first - why would is suddenly stop booting and why would the computer end up at the bios screen after the flash drives flashes for two minutes?

Edited by Belgian Genius
  • Belgian Genius changed the title to Unraid USB drive smoked itself and now doesn't work
11 hours ago, Belgian Genius said:

No, I just reflashed it with a clean image.

The data is all saved on my hard drives, right?

I realized after I screwed myself by wiping the flash drive, but I never realized UnRaid saved anything to the flash drive.

Your data is all on your hard drives, but everything about your configuration (things you setup in the webUI) is on flash.

Without your configuration, you don't have your license, your disk assignments, your docker templates, and any other settings from the webUI.

Your data still exists on the disks, but Unraid doesn't know how to assign those disks. If you assign a data disk to a parity slot the data will be overwritten with parity.

Your dockers and their appdata still exist, but without the docker templates you can't work with your dockers except at the command line. You will have to set them up again but if you do it correctly they will work as before.

Your user shares will still exist since these are just the combined top level folders on all disks, but they will have default settings.

Your plugins won't exist since they are on flash.

All other webUI settings will be defaults.

Thanks.  What a nightmare.  If only I had known that UnRaid was storing stuff on USB flash, I would have kept backups!

Assuming I can get it booting with a new Flash USB, how do I set up my disk array?

5 Data disks (3x12GB, 2X10GB for 44GB usable space)  One of the 12GB disks is parity and I can likely guess which it is, but I won't be certain.  There is also a 256GB SSD cache disk.