VM Cloning & VLAN

Hello,

i am using Unrat for a while and its a really nice system. Now I installed a second unread server only for use as hypervisor for a home lab for testing linux solutions.

And this is my problem. I don't need any answers like "use proxmox or VMware".

I have installed 1 ubuntu server vm and I want to use it as template for quick deploying new vm's. This is important cause I often need more than one v, for testing clusters solutions.

There is a tool call vert-sysprep for preparing a vm on a KVM system for use it as template.

Is there any way, to use this tools or to implement this tool to unpaid, for easy prepare am vm as template?

Is there any way, to provide a vm cloning feature in the vm tab of unraid.

At the moment, I am using the Krusader docker container to duplicate the vmdisk. After the copy process is finished, I have to start the copied vm isolated and do all the changes in the new vm manually. This is not really a good solution.

But I want to use Unraid cause I like it.

The second question:

Is there a way or a plan for future features and update to give the possibility to add vlan support to the vm tab.

I look forward to your answers. If any other user knows a best practice for working with vms, I like to hear from u.

Kind Regards.

...cannot comment on your first question, as I do not have such a use-case

On 10/17/2021 at 9:40 AM, Chiacomo said:

The second question:

Is there a way or a plan for future features and update to give the possibility to add vlan support to the vm tab.

There is no need to.

You basically could enable VLAN tagging inside the OS for the NICS it sees.

The unraid bridge theyse are attached to will not filter a tagged VLAN packet.

More easier is to enable VLANs in unraid network config. The naming scheme that comes with it is simple...

Then use the appropriate Bridge (like br0.10 for VLAN-ID 10) in the template when attaching the vNICs to the VM.

Edited by Ford Prefect