2nd pool for backup

subwars

Hi All,

After some advise on what might be the best course of action to do what i'm thinking.

My current rig comprises of 2 parities and 15 data disks ranging from 8-3tb drives. 39 in use and 28 free.

I've got a new 12tb otw and going to make it a single parity, moving the 2 8's that are currently parity into the data pool, and pull 7 of the oldest drives from the pool, so will end up with 1 parity and 10 data disks, which should leave me with 20tb free by the end.

Now the pulled drives while getting on, are still working and i'd like to turn them into a backup. I'll leave them sitting in the hot sway bays but pulled out an inch so not powered on, except for when i want to update the backup every few months or so.

That's my current train of thought, how would be the best way to go about backing up to them, should i add them all as a 2nd pool or just individual disks? wondering if the fact they're only connected periodically having them as a pool wouldn't be the best way, and what would be the best method of syncing the changes.

Please offer me any advise on how to best proceed.