Linux Mint - Access Unraid shares.

meerkat154

I saw your post last night and was curious to see any replies. As a complete nooB to linux, yesterday I activated a Garuda linux vm for gaming and to learn a linux distro. I've looked back through and found some threads with some info, but I couldn't find anything very straight-forward, like an awesome Spaceinvaderone type video or explanation of how to set up an unraid share for a linux vm. At this point I'm not completely sure it's easy enough for there to even be a detailed step-by-step set of instructions. All the ones I've seen have been geared towards Windows VM's or just setting up a linux distro for some other purpose that apparently doesn't require using shares.

And I truly appreciate so much good info I've found on setting up VM's and love Spaceinvaderone's most recent video on Unraid 6.10 that also covers some of setting up a Windows 11 install (I also used elements of the older Windows 10 Daily Driver one as well as a few different ones regarding passing through GPU's. Thanks to everyone who's shared good info over time on these things! :) 

From some linux-related info I've seen, it seems like setting up shares can be done using a command line after making sure to set up the correct share path and putting a share 'tag' name in the Unraid VM creation first, though I'm too new at it to feel confident that what I would type in linux command might only work for a different type of system, i.e. Debian or Ubuntu rather than an Arch-based distro such as Garuda. A good thing is that it is only a new VM, and it's probably good to see if it can get figured out before getting such a VM set up very much. 

Here is a linked page about it that I just found from a moderator's response to another related post and that may be very helpful: https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/9p_virtio  (it seems the virt-manager referred to does a similar/same job as the share/mount portion of the Unraid VM creation tool)

I'm going to search for some of the other info I saw before and will link it back here soon. Also, I've considered just re-creating a new VM and making a very large Vdisk size if I can't figure out how to share with the array so I can at least have space to download a few Steam games to, and I've also thought about looking more into passing through a real SSD to use specifically for the linux VM. And if it may help, I've seen it said that it can be shared via SMB or NFS, as well, though so far I haven't seen how to go about setting it up. I wish you (and myself  :D ) luck! :) 

Edited by Rushtallica
1 hour ago, Rushtallica said:

I'm running out of time tonight, but here is a video I'm listening to that describes using the SMB shares. 

This video was film on unraid version 6.3.5, some of this has been improved in the newer version of unraid.

Still a good tutorial, just want to make sure that some one new does not feel overwhelmed because the webgui is slightly different.

• Like 1