corsair hx1000watt enough?

intertan

so when I get around to building my server I was wondering if my corsair 1000watt psu would work for the following

norco (24 drive 4u case)

some supermicro sandy bridge

the cheapest 1155 socket 2600k I think

drives will be green versions with the parity(s) possibly being regular drives, possibly.

The hx1000 is not ideal for usage in a file server - it is two rail and, while 40 amps should be enough for your 24 green drives, it might be considered to be marginal, depending on what the drive spin up currents are.

Also, consider that for much of the time, the psu will be operating at well below 20% of full load, meaning that it operates in it's least efficient range.

If you are planning on an i3 processor/mobo combo, then the 'other' 40amp rail will barely be used.

If you already have this psu, then, by all means, go ahead and use it.  However, if you are buying new, you would be much better off choosing a good single rail, 80+ Gold, 750watt, or even 650 watt, supply.  The Seasonic range, or the Corsair-branded versions, are highly recommended.

I can't find it specified on the Corsair website, but it's almost certain that all the molex, sata and floppy connectors will be on one of the 12V rails.  The other rail will support the Mobo (ATX and EPS/ATX12V) and, possibly, the PCI-E connectors.  However, the PCI-E connectors are usually on the same rail as the drive connectors.

Archived