6.9.2 Replaced Disc w/ Write Errors: 100+ Days Parity-Sync, Docker Daemon Unresponsive

I guess I'm still trying to figure out how I ended up wiping all the data, since I didn't intend to do that. I'm trying to figure out what exactly it was so I could avoid it going forward. I thought it was the formatting, but it sounds like you're saying it's not that, so now I don't know what happened to result in the data disappearing.

1 hour ago, BostonJon said:

I didn't unassign the old drive before powering down.

That wouldn't matter since you just have to assign the replacement (or reassign the original) to get rebuild to start.

I did what I thought was the right move by formatting the disk to mount it

Do you mean you formatted the emulated disk after I said it was unmountable? Or had you already formatted it? I never told you to format it.

If I had said "no" at this point, how would you have suggested that I solve the unmountable disk issue?

2 hours ago, trurl said:

If you have an unmountable disk that should have files on it, you must try to repair the filesystem.

Since the emulated and rebuilding disk is still unmountable, maybe you didn't format it while it was in the array and we can still try to repair it after rebuild completes. And you still have the original disk. I hope you didn't format it while it was in the array.

4 minutes ago, BostonJon said:

how I ended up wiping all the data

I haven't seen any evidence, or any clear descriptions of your actions, that definitely make me think you have wiped the data.

If you are absolutely sure you formatted the replacement disk after you started the array to begin the rebuild then that would be a format you should not have done. If you formatted the replacement before assigning it to the array, that would not matter at all though it would be pointless.

What do you mean by this?

19 minutes ago, BostonJon said:

If I had said "no" at this point

There is a checkbox that you have to check before it will let you push the format button. Is that what you mean?

Hey, I'll be honest I haven't read your edit, and any of the follow up comments, but I don't need the suggestion that the only issue here is that I'm not doing exactly what you told me to do while you're not listening to what I'm trying to say. You need to understand that I'm listening to multiple sources here, you're one of them, unraid docs are another, I'm listening to the suggestions from the tools, and I'm coming to the table with my experiences. I'm trying to put all of it together and come up with answers. Right now I feel pretty confident that I can get my data back without having to keep going on with this thread, and I'm really disappointed how this went from an amazing interaction to an awful one. The effort of trying to communicate with you has become really more than I can handle right now, I'd rather try it on my own for now. If I have no other choice I'll reach out again.

• 2 months later...

Hey, just wanted to update that I've found one of my underlying issues turned out to be bad ram. Ran memtest and started hitting errors pretty quickly. I installed new RAM today, and am dealing with some residual corrupt data, but everything seems better already.

No hard feeling on how things went, I was pretty frustrated, and I've been reading other forum responses, and I do see that y'all really are trying to help, so thanks for that.