What happens if I add a hard drive with data on it to Unraid?

arretx

Unraid Status: n00b

I have two external USB drives attached to my ProxmoxVE and both of them are passed through to a single instance of Ubuntu 20.04 and are used for storage.  They are both part of their own LV so I don't have more than one physical drive assigned to the volume.

I'm using rsync to transfer files from that machine to my new Unraid box and it's mind numbingly slow due to the age of the ProxmoxVE host (USB 2.0).  I'm on 110 hours of transfer at 7.45MB/s with only 60% completed.

I'd like to just shuck the drive from the external enclosure and throw it in the Unraid box so I either have access to those files or am able to move them from that drive to the array.

Can this be done?

Mount the drive via Unassigned Devices and transfer the data (assuming the filesystem is supported via UD or UD+) once it's physically connected to the server

Directly adding the drive to the array (yes it is possible) isn't recommended because the partitioning may be different etc and there are extra steps required to not have the OS begin to automatically clear the drive