Cell phone to Unraid connection via browser

marlin

iPhone internet with Unraid.

Out here in the hinterlands internet is almost a dream. I started with dial-up virtually along barb wire fencing, then upgraded to “Wild Blue” satellite; expensive, slow and capped service. Most recently was able to get cell service to hot-spot a connection but it too is capped. Can’t hardly wait to get my Starlink dish but now not due to late 2022.

Updating an old mothballed 4.7 version Unraid system with a iphone USB tethering hot-spot. It has been a challenge but I can report doable. The trick is to get a router to plug the phone into such as the gL.iNet AR750S. (I have no association with them)

My first attempt was direct Ethernet connection between UnRaid and computer browser using a static IP address. Was not able to make a connection. Computer browser sees Unraid via any plain router using DCHP, which is a step in the right direction. Computer browser sees and hooks up to internet when UBS wire tethered to computer. But Unraid will not see internet to download plugins and the like. Perhaps someone knows how to link 2 ethernets within a computer together, I do not. Iphone is on eth1 and the GUI for Unraid is on eth0. I was not ever able to get the 2 to meet trying both sharing and bridging on the WIN10 machine. If someone knows how and has done this please share for future builders. Otherwise I fully suggest purchasing the above or similar router to do the trick.

I imagine using Unraid for a very simple/basic NAS without internet might be doable but not for the faint of heart, no plug-ins, etc. I do not think Unraid is designed to be used as a standalone product without internet access? Can anyone verify this?

This is hopefully a small way to give back to the community which has been so helpful to me over the years. Thank you.

47 minutes ago, marlin said:

I do not think Unraid is designed to be used as a standalone product without internet access? Can anyone verify this?

Many of the extra features that Unraid is so good at require internet, so in that sense it's designed to have internet. On the flip side, it's perfectly capable of basic functioning without internet, but you will have hurdles to overcome for each additional service you want to add.

What functionality are you trying to get going?