Upgrades ...

Hi Guys,

First post in the unraid forum so hello to eveyone :)

Pretty new to unraid, had it about 5 months now and loving it! I have a couple of questions.

My server is filling up fast, not so much of an issue. Brought a new case to take more hard drives as my current one is full.

I will also need to buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEYIMEI-Controller-Expansion-Profile-Extension/dp/B09K5HPSBX/ref=sr_1_34_sspa?crid=3C4X2YGG3CIU8&keywords=sata%2Bcard&qid=1640259859&sprefix=sata%2Bcard%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-34-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzU0xKSFIxMzA0WU83JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQzMzkyM1FWUTIzVTdYTlk1MiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzU4NTYwMkUzVUZJQlRKUEZJQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

My questions are, if I put this card in and change the current drives that are just on the motherboard to the PCIE card. Will unraid detect them in the same form? Will I need to do anything?

Secondly, if this card fails later on, could I just pop another PCIE card in and it run like normal?

Thanks and Happy Christmas!

35 minutes ago, davemoreton said:

Will unraid detect them in the same form? Will I need to do anything?

Secondly, if this card fails later on, could I just pop another PCIE card in and it run like normal?

Yes to both questions, but that controller is a bad option for Unraid, it uses SATA port multipliers and has very limited bandwidth, see here for a list of recommended options: