Best approach for general purpose Linux command line on Unraid

rramstad

Hi there, hoping someone can help with their opinion as to the best way to proceed.

I have a lot of music that is in odd formats like SHN.  I often have to decode to WAV and encode to FLAC so I can have files that I can tag and use in my music players.

In the past my file server was running CentOS and I would just use a user level command line (bash shell) and some scripts plus some installed utilities.

That file server will be replaced by Unraid and I need to have similar functionality.

I see three possibilities and I wonder which is best, or if I'm missing something.

1) Do these tasks directly from the Unraid shell.  Not sure how to install those scripts and utilities, and don't really want to do it as root, so ideally someone would tell me how to install that stuff, have it persist and how to get a user shell on my Windows box via the GUI.

2) Use Docker with something like the Rocky Linux image.  I actually grabbed this and played with it a tiny bit but it just runs and exits.  From reading I realize I need to tell it somehow that I want it to install some scripts and give me a user shell, but am not sure how.

3) Create a Rocky Linux VM that I can spin up when I need it.  I did CentOS sysadmin tasks for years so this would be comfortable for me I think but again am not entirely sure of the steps to get that working on my box.

Can anyone provide instructions, directions, documentation on getting a safe customized user level shell running on Unraid via one of these methods or some other method?  (add functionality to Unraid, Docker, VM, something else? maybe a plugin but I didn't see any relevant ones?)

Thanks in advance, this is one of the bigger things I have to solve before I can shut down my old box and pay for Unraid.

AFAIK you will only be able to run a command as root. UnRAID only supports users for share access.

As far as the scripts, you can create a folder on the flash for them (example: /boot/config/scripts) and then setup a user script to run at first start-

#!/bin/bash
rsync -hrltgoD --chown=root:root --chmod=ugo=rwx /boot/config/scripts/ /usr/local/bin

This will load all of your scripts into /usr/local/bin so that you can run them from the command line. I believe that this is also possible with an entry in the go file. User scripts is a very handy plugin available in Community Apps.