Server maintenance and Parity swap upgrade procedure

Ryan B

Been awhile since i have had some free time to update and maintain my home server, last update was nearly two years ago to 6.8.2 an not sure if i should update the os or not as it is currently quite stable on my older hardware.

I need to add another data drive or two and would like to replace my 10tb parity with a 14tb, I have read about several methods though not sure what method would be the safest.

So far I have disabled dockers, ran a parity check , shut down array and installed at least one 14tb( not pre cleared or formated) though have not started the system yet as not sure what method is advisable for single parity drive upgrade and move old parity to data.

Since you passed a parity check, the easiest would be to take note of the current drive assignments, do a new config preserving all, change the parity to the new 14TB, and assign the old parity drive to a new data slot.

Start the array and build parity, but don't format the old parity drive until you finish a parity check with zero errors after the parity build is completed.

If you are in doubt as to the health of any of your drives, post the diagnostic zip file and ask before moving forward. What I said to do obviously isn't the best path if you have any dodgy drives.

So boot up system

Format 14tb drive?

Take screenshot of drive order

Unmount current 10tb parity

Mount 14tb parity to 10tb parity slot

Start array and rebuild parity

Once done re add the 10tb former parity as a data drive and format.

Btw do you recomend a full or short S.M.A.R.T test on drives?

On a side note I shucked the 14tb wd white-red from an easy store like the 10tb before, did not seem to have any 3.3v pin issues on the 10tb anyway to check the 14tb for pin issues before swap?

Assuming 14TB is physically connected where you want it,

Boot up

Screenshot Main page for drive order

Tools, New config, preserve all

Go to Main

Select 14TB in the parity1 dropdown

Select former 10TB parity in a blank data slot

Start array let parity build

Once parity build is complete, start parity check

When check completes with zero errors, select format unmountable drives, making sure only drive listed as unmountable is former parity drive.

Full SMART tests are good to do periodically, a parity check with a zero error output is almost as good.

If the 14TB spins up and is detected, it's fine. If not, deal with the 3.3V.

The only drive to get formatted in this entire operation should be the old parity drive once it's in a data slot, after parity is successfully completed.